Need Advice about Shifting (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 22 Nov 1999 17:05 UTC

----------(1)
>From MorsCa@WWC.EDU Mon Nov 22 11:58:26 1999
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:41:30 -0800
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Need advice about shifting (Jana Comerford)

First, I send a student out to calculate how many inches of free space
exist on the shelves. Then I run a list of current subscriptions from the
serials module. Then I send students out to do a study of how many inches
each title needs for 3 years growth (if you have a lot of room, go for 4
or 5 years growth). Actually, we don't count it in inches, but boxes since
we use a lot of boxes ("shelf files"). Each standard shelf will hold 8
boxes. Then we start shifting at the beginning, piling books on book
trucks as necessary. We also dust at the same time. We generally save this
kind of project for summer. Hope this helps.  Carol

Carol Morse                                                  Tel.  509) 527-2684
Serials Librarian                                             Fax 509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library                     Email  morsca@wwc.edu
105 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1195

Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:42:27 -0600
From: Jana Comerford <jcomerford@MAIL.WTAMU.EDU>
Subject: Need advice about shifting

Hi, everyone. We are about to start a big shifting project and would
appreciate input from people who have experience in this area. We are
pulling and sending to storage the bound volumes that duplicate the
content we now have on the JStor database. This will leave large gaps on
our shelves, but the space is needed for newly bound volumes. No one in
the department has been through a major shift, and we would appreciate
hearing from people who found a way to accomplish large shifts in a
planned, organized way that keeps items evenly spaced and allows for
receipt of newly bound volumes. How did you do it, and is there anything
you would have done differently in retrospect? Thanks so much! Jana
Comerford, West Texas A&M University

----------(2)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:54:00 -0800
From: Don Page <djpage@CSUPOMONA.EDU>

There is an excellent website called "Planning Shifts of Library
Collections" by  Shirien Stevens at the University of Oregon.  We used it
to add to our own planning process and found it very useful and
comprehensive.

http://www-vms.uoregon.edu/~sstevens/acs/shiftplan.html

Don Page.

Donald J. Page, Periodicals Coordinator, Access Services
University Library, 15-210
Calif. State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Pomona, CA 91768
(909) 869-3089
djpage@csupomona.edu