Re: Archiving newspapers (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 11 Nov 1999 20:41 UTC

2 messages:

1)______

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:06:42 -0500
From: susan markley <smarkley@EMAIL.VILL.EDU>
Subject: Re: Archiving newspapers (Laura Vogler)

Villanova University uses PRESERVATION RESOURCES in Bethleham, PA.
It is a division of OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc. Meg Bellinger is
the President (1-800-773-7222) and can be your contact person.

We are preparing a shipment right now and the price estimate for 208 issues
for a 4-year period includes:

Filming charges:    $ 1287
Processing and duplication charges:   $ 197
Shipping and handling charges:  $ 214

They are very professional and do beautiful work, however, it has been a long
process because of their busy work schedule.  They will not pick up the
materials from Villanova (ours are unbound issues; bound issues that have to
be unbound from binding will probably cost more) until the end of November and
filming will not be done until January 2000.

Hope this helps.

Susan Markley
Villanova University
Villanova PA

2)______

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:16:31 -0800
From: Marcella Lesher <acadmarc@STMARYTX.EDU>
Subject: Re: Archiving Newspapers

We just had our campus newspaper filmed by the following company:

Southwest Micropublishing (SMI)
2627 E. Yandell
El Paso, TX  79903
1-800-367-1273

We did three years worth of our paper (372 pages) and turn around
time was about a month.  They did a very good job and the cost was
quite reasonable.  One of the consortia our library belongs to has
been using them to film other local newspapers and I think we have
all been quite pleased with their work.

Marcella Lesher
Academic Library
St. Mary's University--San Antonio