Newspaper with double numbering (Maija Cravens) Marcia Tuttle 18 Nov 1999 21:25 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:44:10 -0600
From: Maija Cravens <mscravens@MAIL.SHSW.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Newspaper with double numbering

Hi everybody,

I'm cataloging a newspaper "Reedsburg report times-press" which was formed
by the union of "Reedsburg report" and "Reedsburg times-press". The paper
is published twice a week.  The issue published on Thursdays continues the
numbering of the Report while the issue published on Saturdays continues
the numbering of the Times-press.

The CONSER Manual has an example of a case pretty much like this one in
Module 33.8.4. where alternative numbering occurs after a merger:

245 00  Gazette and courier.
362 0    Gazette vol. 49, no. 2579 (July 20, 1841)-June 24, 1932 = Courier v. 4, no. 16-v. 93, no. 1.

So, following this example, my 362 0   would look like this:

Reedburg report vol. 4, no. 45 (Nov. 11, 1999)- = Reedsburg times-press v.
139, no. 46-

However, when I checked the title "Gazette and courier" in OCLC
(#9771321), the alternative numbering had been moved to a 515 field:
Issues for July 20, 1841-June 24, 1932 also called Courier new ser. v. 4,
no. 16-v. 93, no. 1.

My question is: What should I do about the double numbering system; put it
in 362 like the example in the CONSER Manual, or field 515 like the OCLC
record?

Thanks for your help,

Maija Cravens
Head of Cataloging
State Historical Society of Wisconsin Library
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706
(608)264-6522  Fax: (608)264-6520
mscravens@mail.shsw.wisc.edu