Re: Microfilm Pricing (David Goodman) Marcia Tuttle 09 Dec 1999 19:38 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:20:34 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: Microfilm Pricing

Why would any library now get microfilm for anything they could get in
electronic format?
I suspect that the number of purchasers they have may be going down even more
sharply than subscribers to print. I would put microfilm as a means of access
to serials in the list of obsolete and endangered technologies. I know there
is much third world material avail in this format but not online, but
shouldn't we devote our efforts to scanning these materials rather than
continuing filming?  I know that correctly stored master microfilm is a
reliable archival medium, but shouldn't we be developing means of properly
archiving electronic media instead?

> spiraling paper prices.  Could it be a case of, The market will take it,
> we have a semi-monopoly, so let's get all the money we can?  I told our
> rep what I thought, and he said he would relay my complaints to
> management, but of course it did no good.  Maybe if others start
> complaining, we could make an impression.

> Carol Morse                                                  Tel.  509) 527-2684
> Serials Librarian                                             Fax 509) 527-2001
> Walla Walla College Library                     Email  morsca@wwc.edu
> 105 S.W. Adams St.
> College Place, WA  99324-1195
>
> Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and
Co-Chair, Electronic Journals Task Force
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627