Re: oversize plans, they kind of did that with the Sherman in the movie Fury - about an M4 Sherman crew in NW Europe (if you don't know the movie, find the Fury movie wikipedia page).  Apparently, all of the interior photography was done with a set that was somewhat overscale because things were way too cramped-looking otherwise.

- Bill

At 11:48 PM 5/27/2019, you wrote:
On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:25 PM Kelly St. Clair <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
On 5/27/2019 6:38 PM, Postmark (via tml list) wrote:

> It can’t be done.
>
> If you assume that the Type S is a flat triangle about 3m thick with sloping side pods holding the fuel, then the deck plans from S7:Traders and Gunboats work fine.
>
> The problem is trying to make it look like a scaled down star destroyer from Star Wars - the sloping roof just does not work and a J2 ship does not have enough fuel tank volume to fill the gaps, so all the interior space ends up with sloping floors and ceilings at the edges.

Bingo.  That's about what I figured.

Sloping ceilings - or even decks - are okay. You can put a bunk there and it would still be a usable furnishing item, so long as you didn't try to also use as a sofa. My problem is with deckplans that put a desk and chair (or a counter or anything else requiring semi-normal clearance) along that edge. And I'm also okay with a "bridge" that's a slightly-enlarged cockpit with a cramped center aisle, whose flooring lifts up to reveal a really cramped crawlspace accessing the avionics.

But most floorplans seem to believe that even a very small ship must be laid out like a liner.  Maybe it's an effect of "old school" dungeon  maps (and their modern descendants the 5E/Pathfinder battle mats), which tend to oversize everything because the artists feel that  realistically-scaled depictions are just too cramped?

BTW, the text of the Supplement 7 entry for the Type S says "[t]he staterooms [####] are large and spacious, an essential consideration when the crew may be forced to spend long hours together."

Uh huh. :P

--
Richard Aiken

"Never insult anyone by accident."  Robert A. Heinlein
"I studied the Koran a great deal. I came away from that study with the conviction there have been few religions in the world as deadly to men as Muhammed." Alexis de Tocqueville
"We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous." Dean Winchester (fictional monster hunter portrayed by Jensen Ackles)
"It has been my experience that a gun doesn't care who pulls its trigger." Newton Knight (as portrayed by Matthew McConaughey), to a scoffing Confederate tax collector facing the weapons held by Knight's young children and wife.

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=CdnU0EhBjfjjIb8YPy01fwnA9pxhJWpq

Bill Rutherford
xxxxxx@comcast.net