Hello Phil and Rupert,

Being a retired submarine sailor one of the draws of Traveller for me was the similarity between the starships/non-starships and submarines. Both are designed to keep crew and passengers alive in a hostile environment. The internal volume of the people tank, a.k.a. pressure hull, is packed with the equipment needed to operate the boat and accomplish the mission. The CO and XO have single occupancy staterooms that share a head. The rest of the officer's are in three person bunk rooms. The Chiefs Quarters have a number of three high bunks that are entered through a common area that has a small table with a bench behind it. The rest of the crew is shoe horned mainly the operations compartment. On the three boomers the missile compartment's middle level also has a number of bunks that are two or three high. On the Shark there was a berthing space in the torpedo room.

The Guardian is once again on hold while adding the Design Evaluation section master spreadsheet developed using "A MT Starship Design Example" by Joe D. Fugate Sr. and by Donald McKinney's adding errata.

Tom Rux

On July 21, 2019 at 11:56 AM "Phil Pugliese (via tml list)" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 09:17:36 AM MST, Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

On 22Jul2019 0239, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) wrote:

> I've always considered nuclear-powered subs to be the closest analogy
> to TU starships.

> How many DT's would an Ohio-class SSBN add up to?How about a Los
> Angeles-class SSN?

The *Ohio*-class displace 18750 tonnes submerged, and so has a volume of
about 18,250 m^3 (sea water being slightly more dense than pure water),
which is 1300-1350 DTons, depending what size of DTon you prefer.
Complement is given as 155, comparable to that of the *Zumwalts*.

The *Los-Angeles*-class displaces 6,927 tonnes submerged, and thus has a
volume of about 6,745 m^3, or 480-500 DTons. Listed complement is 129,
rather more per ton than the *Ohios*, I'm guessing because crew
requirements for reactors don't scale linearly, and because they have a
need for more fire control and situational awareness systems and staff.

This does imply that damage control on Traveller spaceships is limited
because of the limited man-power. On the other hand, if you're using the
CT spaceship rules, from my recollection there's not a lot of in-combat
damage control to be done.

--
Rupert Boleyn < xxxxxx@gmail.com>

It occurs to me that a big chunk of volume is taken up by the 18 ICBM silos.

Otherwise, these subs aren't particularly big by TU standards.

To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=zZOCJCw2BI9jPrGTB4OJoibiHbbTEiok