I could probably rip an ISO file for you, if I can find an hour or so and the original CDs.

I’ve had them for years and I still haven’t gone through all the material on them.

Best regards,

Ewan

--
xxxxxx@quibell.org.uk

Sent from my ZX81

For the fallen in the cause of the free:
"When I go home I will tell of them and say,
For our tomorrow, They gave their today."

My spelling is entirerly due to dyslexia, typos, and poetic license

On 22 Feb 2020, at 02:28, James Lam - fadetozero at yahoo.com (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

Does anyone know if the HIWG CDs are still available?  I have a dead email.

(Previous discussion continued)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars - Jeff Zeitlin (20 Feb 2020 04:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 PassengerCars - David Jaques-Watson (20 Feb 2020 11:01 UTC)

Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars by Jeff Zeitlin (20 Feb 2020 04:46 UTC)
Reply to list

    On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 18:20:33 -0000, wrote:

    >Put them in as is, and add an explanation to go with them:

    I think I'll revise the first and last paragraphs as shown... :) The rest,
    modulo minor copyediting (which has been done on the text here) can pretty
    much stand as-is... (I've deleted the reference to "Imperial" miles; unlike
    gallons, miles are the same on both sides of the Atlantic.)

    >"Our glorious editor, Jeff, pointed out that if these were published as is
    >then he would likely get feedback to say that the range and duration on
    >these TL8 vehicles is significantly greater than present day cars, currently
    >on the market. And he is of course completely correct (as always (and as we
    >have come to expect)) ...

    "Author's Note: The range and duration of these vehicles is noticeably
    greater than that of nominally similar present-day cars.

    >Please remember that MegaTraveller and its design system, used to build
    >these, is about 30 years old, and while it's had the benefits of 30 years of
    >Travellers pointing out its inconsistencies and then subtly adjusting the
    >system to better fit reality, it was and still is pretty good at turning out
    >vehicles that approximate reality.
    >
    >In this instance, the Urban Class Passenger Car has a fuel tank that is
    >probably twice that of a car of today (26 gallons (imperial) vs 13 for a
    >Ford Mondeo Estate), and while its MPG of around 34 isn't the best, it's
    >only 4 off the Mondeo in urban driving. It has a range of around 890 miles
    >against around 715 miles for the Mondeo (with efficient motorway
    >driving), and weighs about 600kg less than an unloaded Mondeo Estate. It's
    >also (adjusting for dollar inflation over the last 30 years) about 1/3 of
    >the price of a new Mondeo, and has 2.75 times the cargo capacity of my
    >chosen comparison vehicle, although its top speed is rubbish.
    >
    >The Urban E Class suffers the same against electric vehicles of today: it's
    >about twice the range, significantly cheaper with much more cargo capacity.
    >
    >You can of course adjust the parameters to suit your game especially if
    >you're using Traveller rules to play a modern day Earth setting (which in
    >itself would be pretty cool ...), and I could probably play with the ratios
    >of the power of the engine and suspension and transmission of the wheels to
    >see if I could get the stats to better match reality, but I could also
    >leave that as a exercise for the reader ...
    >
    >So while not perfect, they aren't way off, which ain't half bad, especially
    >given that the rules were published at the same time as the TML came into
    >being."

    So, while not perfect representations of the current state of the
    technology, they aren't unresonably far off, especially given that the
    rules were published just over thirty years ago."

    "Editor's Note: The Ford Mondeo reference vehicle is marketed in the
    Americas, the Middle East, and South Korea as the Ford Fusion. Imperial
    gallons convert to US gallons at a 1:1.2 (5:6) ratio, and to liters at a
    1:4.55 (20:91) ratio."

    >How's that?
    >
    >Best regards,
    >
    >Ewan

    Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
    Freelance Traveller
    The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Resource
    xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
    http://www.freelancetraveller.com

    Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
    enterprises for hosting services:

    onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
    The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)

Re: [TML] TL8 PassengerCars by David Jaques-Watson (20 Feb 2020 11:01 UTC)
Reply to list

    Dear Folks –

    Hi Ewan! Have you applied the errata for internal combustion engines?

    David "Hyphen" Jaques-Watson ..at.. Beowulf Down (Tavonni/Vilis/SM 1520)
    http://www.tip.net.au/~davidjw                    xxxxxx@pcug.org.au
    "I file things in historical order, with a hashing algorithm of gravity"

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to

http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=dHxdYirgSgos395qMhM3iGkCaAJ5nIse