I tried 500 misjumps out of Terra with the CT rules and got this distribution:
https://i.imgur.com/AmeJGwC.jpg (dot size scales with number of misjumps landing on that spot)

I suppose if trying to optimize for lucky information travel at faster than Jump-6 speeds, you would want to try to tickle the misjumps at worlds that have stars at 36 parsec in each of the directions. In Terra's case, the geometry isn't that good and a long misjump is also an unlucky one, it will land in empty space.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 8:15 PM <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 10:29 PM Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12Jun2020 0848, Vareck Bostrom wrote:
> In these cases, the assumptions are that regular commercial traffic is
> always inbound and outbound from the system and incoming ships will,
> as part of human nature, exchange interesting news with outbound ships
> ("Did you hear that Strephon was assassinated?") and the density of
> J-2 shipping is always high enough that the turnaround is effectively
> instant, or at least as fast as the xboat turn around is.
>
> I have modeled in the past adding in misjumps to information
> propagation. Misjumps are common enough and occasionally end up in 36
> parsec jumps that if it were a rule that all ships must carry
> important mail in digital form on the chance that they might get a
> lucky misjump that greatly outpaces even a secret J-6 network makes it
> worth doing.
In CT there was no chance of a misjump at all unless you were provoking
one (by jumping in the well, using dodgy fuel, or skimping on
maintenance). Also, the chance of getting that 36-parsec misjump is very
low - roll 1d6 for the number of dice to roll, then roll that many D6s
for distance. 36-parsecs requires getting a 6 on 7 D6s - a 1 in 279936
chance.

Hmmm, I remember it as D6 x D6 which is why I said about 10-12 avg and that would make 36 misjump 1/36 and 30 misjump 1/12 odds.

I'll have to look between versions now and see if that changed after the CT info. In versions where you might still fail, and some of the later ones might be like that, it would still be a consideration to think about.

And I could see a mad science project from the Imperial Research Stations trying to find out how to create a directional misjump that was at least somewhat tuneable....

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>

-----

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=wkJZDVdDoS21PvuTrsXSMsmho7pwDsoN