I have a query:

In one of the flavours of traveller, I was just reading about external tankage.

That passage described:

- drop tanks - such dry then jump, but no real explanation of where that volume somehow fitted within your ship and it would be much larger than the exiting jump engine so you can't say it just goes there unless it is consumed and a much smaller power storage grid could contain the equivalent amount of energy... in which case why would not every ship have that loaded up with power with their tanks full with another set... so how this works I don't know. I know the historical plane model, but nobody jumped through another reality....

- demountable hard external tanks - should mess with aerodynamics and with mass distributions and vulnerable if you are in hostile conditions, but pretty obvious that this is just 'a bigger gas tank that happens to be stored outside of the hull'. Not sure any concrete detail of the impacts was stated.

- collapsible external tanks - Once you are done with them, collapse them. This could be used to put a fuel bladder in a cargo bay or to carry a soft external tank (even more vulnerable) outside the armour that could be deflated as fuel depleted to the point where it might not be as impaired (compared to an empty demountable hard external tank).

A lot of detail on the particulars, tasks, etc. didn't seem to be in evidence and drop tanks seemed a bit hand-wavy.

Anyone know how the drop tanks are supposed to work in-universe to power jumps where you drop the tanks before activating the jump engine?

Tom

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 2:34 PM shadow at shadowgard.com (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
On 15 Jun 2020 at 23:29, Richard Aiken wrote:

> IMTU, I make jump drives for larger volumes progressively less
> efficient. That is, the jump drives get larger and more power-hungry,
> the larger the hull being jump becomes. A 5000 dton hull is as big as
> you can get and still have a jump-capable vessel (after installing
> everything else a ship needs to function).

Silly thought. We know you can make a ship that uses drop tanks for
jump fuel. So how about one where the jump fuel tankage *and power
plant* are external?

Fire up the power plant, run the fuel thru and disconect from the
ship which then jumps.

Put you in a bit of a bind if you get a misjump, but otherwise I
don't see any major problems (assuming it is possible at all).

Be useful for bulk cargo and possibly some military uses. Keeps some
of the more expensive parts of the ship "at home" and usable for
multiple ships.

For two way traffic you'd need one at each end of the jump.

Not sure what to call it. It's sort of an intermediate step between a
normal ship and a jump gate. I think "jump tug" is already taken.

Maybe jump catapult?
--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com

-----
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=RDHE7iRpfwqlHvVvWBIhpJZsbTiD5NnL