On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 1:59 AM Kelly St. Clair <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
On 6/19/2020 10:44 PM, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

> I always wondered who (player and GM-wise) they wrote all the early CT
> JTAS scenarios revolving crime, hijacking, kidnapping, vandalism, theft,
> etc.
>
> I guess that has now been a question answered!

Well, for one thing, that's what most classic dungeon crawls are about
(with a side of tomb robbing).  It's just that all of those things are
done against "acceptable targets" (i.e., non-humans, mostly).

Because alignment means all specimens, no matter gender, age or any other factor, are irretrievably and inevitably EVIL!

So it's okay for "GOOD" characters to be murder-hobos!

I always had troubles with that... probably why I binned alignments very quickly and gave the humanoids and others as much variability as humans.

Plus, I find it hard to introduce new folk to the game with the old AD&D monster manual "100 warriors in the lair along with a like number of females and twice that many young". Okay, so.... to protect the Keep.... I guess I have to commit mass genocide then? Where's my D20!

<rolls eyes>

The line between "adventurer" and "career criminal" is fine indeed, and
that's before we start getting into rogues, or as we called them back
then, thieves.

Should have stuck with that name too. Most people could spell thief or thieves (maybe thiefs) at a pinch, but I really twitch when I see someone describing their character as a 'rouge'....