ISTR that in the 'early days' there was mention of a 'bubble of some sort that the ship was contained within.
I even recall reading that it was possible to put on a spacesuit & go out on the hull.
But that was before the 'jump grid' appeared, which was over 5 years after the first Trav products were published.

There's also been articles were 'jumpspace' has 'intruded' into a ship causing a real mess.

Then there's the 'jump sickness' idea which was introduced into the TNS bulletins as part of GDW's shift from the S'Marches to the SolRim just before they hit the reset button with MT & Rebellion.

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 02:36:43 PM MST, Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:

Afternoon WA time Rupert,

Drat, I was hoping that there was documentation out there somewhere.

GDW JTAS 24 1985 pp. 34-38 has the article Jumpspace written by Marc W. Miller in the Required Items p. 35 in the Power Source entry: "Jump uses large amounts of energy to rip open the barriers between normal space and jump space. Normally, only a fusion power plant can supply this energy."

On pp. 35-36 the entry for Strong Hull states "Starship hulls contain as an integral part of their structure a network of wiring which maintains the jump field around the ship."

Many years ago there was a link to a web site that did show jumps using hydrogen bubbles, unfortunately the site has disappeared.

Tom Rux

> On 06/19/2020 1:23 PM Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 20Jun2020 0119, Thomas RUX wrote:
> > Howdy Rupert,
> >
> > Can you please provide the source that indicated there is a bubble of hydrogen around the hull?
> There may not be one. That's just how I interpret jumping. If it
> bothers, assume it all gets stuffed into jumpspace, never to be seen again.
>
> --
> Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
>
> -----

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=ckeZ4SpMkTqj0RuowdhoVbpeCyPfxFia