Heck, there's been way more 'modifications' done to the MDrive rationale than to JDrive.

Early deck plans had engines with nozzles poking out the stern but then, I think it was MT, 'thruster plates' came along.

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 07:03:34 PM MST, Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello Kelly,

I forgot to include the caveat that the designers also gave the referees and players the ability to make changes in their games. Further, the referees and players from different groups do not agree on how they work.

I do not have any idea of how the jump drive works. The back story presented by Marc Miller in GDW JTAS 24 is one explanation and is good enough for me until something better comes along. Heck we really do not know how the Maneuver Drive works either.

Tom Rux

> On 06/19/2020 4:06 PM Kelly St. Clair <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
>

> On 6/19/2020 1:37 PM, Rupert Boleyn wrote:
>
> > When it comes down to it, in CT a jump drive is a black box into which
> > you pour power and hydrogen when you want to jump. They are consumed,
> > and you (hopefully) jump. Also in CT, as long as you aren't jumping too
> > close to a world, and are using refined fuel, you don't misjump. It's a
> > simple and safe system from the operator's point of view.
>
> On 6/19/2020 2:50 PM, Thomas RUX wrote:
>
>  > The game designers wrote the back story that way for purposes of the
>  > game they wanted.
>
> Hence the problem, because gamers and science fiction fans - groups
> which have a substantial amount of overlap, especially here - are NEVER
> going to just let it go at that.  They're going to keep picking and
> poking at it, finding holes and demanding explanations, or making up
> their own.  Which is exactly what we have been doing for the last 40+ years.
>
> "It's ****ing magic, okay?" just doesn't work when we're talking about a
> piece of /technology/ that's essential to the game setting.  (It's right
> there in the name; jump drive is the primary method by which travellers
> travel.)
>
> --

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=ckeZ4SpMkTqj0RuowdhoVbpeCyPfxFia