Even though I was absolutely addicted I also felt that the show started that way right from the 'get-go'.
The 'gate' worked differently in the pilot than it did in the early regular episodes, ISTR.

And, over the years, they constantly altered the mechanics of how the 'snakes' parasitized other beings.

On Saturday, June 20, 2020, 08:50:45 PM MST, <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

The Stargate SG-1 example I recall was a gate fallen over where they had to use a rope to the other side of the gate to hoist the PCs. That violated well known gate physics (items/people go entire, not piecewise).

Consistency just feels like solid prep work whereas inconsistency comes of confused or lazy prep.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 22:10 Kelly St. Clair, <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
On 6/20/2020 5:09 PM, Kelly St. Clair wrote:
> On 6/20/2020 3:49 PM, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>     Keen insight here (including the Roddenberry tag).
>>

>> I tried to find Rodenberry's Axiom, but Google and DuckDuckGo give me
>> blank stares.
>
>  From memory, it's essentially "people today don't constantly remind
> their co-workers how automobiles work, so they wouldn't do that in the
> future."  It's a justification and caution against stuffing clumsy "As
> You Know, Bob" exposition into a story.
>
> But as we see here (and with one of Roddenberry's own inventions, the
> transporter - which he created to serve the needs of the story, getting
> the crew into the action without having to pay for expensive footage of
> shuttles launching, landing, etc every time the crew left and returned
> to the ship), leaving something completely /un/defined, and/or pulling
> new capabilities for it out of your ass to solve some problem and then
> never mentioning or using them again, even when they could and logically
> should fix a later problem, is also Bad Storytelling (or Setting/Game
> Design).

(adding on a bit)

You don't have to (and probably shouldn't) spend five minutes/paragraphs
every show/book explaining to the audience how it works, but the
author/game master/showrunner SHOULD know and have worked it all out, so
that when someone (a player, another writer, etc) asks, you can give
confident and non-stupid answers which, ideally, won't end up breaking
other things when taken to their logical conclusions.

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=ckeZ4SpMkTqj0RuowdhoVbpeCyPfxFia