Again, not the rabbit hole I want to go down… I’ve been down the path of trying to set up skills for SF games, and it was crazy. In the last Traveller game I ran back in the day before my current “old school back to basics” movement, I actually gave up on a detailed skill system and went with a small skill list (maybe smaller than Book 1’s) with a set of check boxes for each skill to indicate specialties you were qualified in. Eventually, trying to be “realistic” about skills broke modern and SF gaming for me.

More recently, I wanted to get back into Traveller, and went off trying to set up a “realistic” 3-D map based on real stars. And spent months down a rabbit hole on that. And that started to die as I thought about “well, what the heck would REALLY make sense to trade between stars? If a star system doesn’t have what it needs to be self-sufficient,  why stop there (especially with the fact that I was using ideas from Paul Gazis’s 8-Worlds campaign http://paulgazis.com/EightWorlds/index.htm with 30 parsec jumps). My interest in Traveller was on the verge of collapsing.

Then I read Christopher Kubasik’s blog, Tales to Astound https://talestoastound.wordpress.com/

And over the course of a few months, I tried various experiments with sub-sectors before genning up my Wine Dark Rift setting: https://ffilz.github.io/Gaming/winedark.html and settling on using Classic Traveller 1977 Books 1-3 with a few house rules (including a new skill table for Supplement 4). I no longer care how Traveller “skills” map to any sort of real world measure or classification of proficiency. I’m taking the skill list mostly as is, with some small house rules for interpretation, including my Ship’s Boat/Pilot house rule.

So all I am doing is offering my solution to the question of how to resolve the question about operating various kinds of ships, and do so in a way that works well with the probably incomplete skill coverage of a small group of Book 1 PCs who don’t try to maximize their number of terms. And given that, it makes sense to allow Navigation to be useful on world also. Other than vehicle skills, “engineering skills (electronics, mechanical, engineering, and computer), and personal combat skills, Book 1 is very short on skills useful on planet.

Now I can totally understand the desire to develop a rich set of skills to make realistic CVs for characters, and if that’s your game, go for it. I think there’s room for both kinds of games, just as we can enjoy both Star Wars and Gravity (and complain about scientific blunders in both movies, while also acknowledging that they are at opposite ends of the realism spectrum).

Frank