Another interesting idea, but mostly would need to be some sort of standard:

For cargo, you build a long, this ship with the ability to load containers in so that when you reach another system, you can dock with the high port or a transport shuttle and just roll all the modules off destined for the planet. No moving of actual cargo items individually.

For passengers, your liner has a module called the embarkcation/debarcation module. It contains batteries, life support, etc. for a short period (say a day). During embarkcation, your passengers stroll into a windowed 'building' sitting on the tarmac. They can be delivered there by bus or limo. A transfer steward gets everyone buckled in. A transfer shuttle drops down, picks up the module with underbelly clamps, and lifts gently off to climb to orbit. Once in orbit, the module can be put on a pad at the high port and emptied or it could be directly transferred to another vessel in orbit.

This might be a good way to quickly load large passenger volumes from surface to awaiting non-streamlined liner.

Probably not directly feasible for a subsidized liner due to size limits, but maybe useful for larger liners.

TomB

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:27 PM Jeffrey Schwartz <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder if some worlds with no Highport would have Downport based,
privately owned launches and such.
I can picture them sending data-spam about "Ride from orbit to planet,
only 50cr" as you come in-system.
When there's no traffic, they'd be getting jobs delivering people to
moon bases and such

http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=RDHE7iRpfwqlHvVvWBIhpJZsbTiD5NnL