Hmmm, you make a good point. But it is the ending of a particular stream of time ... depending on your time travel model. If there is only one stream of time and it flips between different alternatives each time a decision is made, then it has changed (and thus the prior direction may in fact have ended).

If on the other hand, every decision spins off a new time stream and there are an infinity of them, then you've chosen your personal direction, but alternate you in other timestream alternatives could well be carrying on the orthodox (as the books were written to describe) timeline.

Fortunately, other than breaking their brains over metaphysics, it has little impact in play. And if the questions are disturbing... OMG! THE STORM IS UPON US!....

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 2:04 PM Alex Goodwin <xxxxxx@multitel.com.au> wrote:
On 7/7/20 3:52 am, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
> Technically isn't that the end of the timeline as we know it, not the
> world? ;)
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 12:12 PM Alex Goodwin
> <xxxxxx@multitel.com.au <mailto:xxxxxx@multitel.com.au>>
> wrote:
>
>     PA:VT has definitely and obviously departed the canonical timeline.
>
>     El Capitane, Bert, Badass Badass-Moustache, et al, have, in the
>     process
>     of recovering from The Goofy Holler, found a way for the just-renamed
>     Terran Confederation to break out of its current pocket at its
>     current TTL.
>
>     Something something... LEO-NARD! BERN-STEIN!

As I can't carry a tune in a shipping container (let alone a ruddy
bucket), I'll defer to Mr Stipe's phrasing.

Besides, it's a divergence, not an ending (since spacetime itself
continues as The Beat Goes On).

Still have to write up tonight's session and run the epilogue next week
- as IW2: Electric Boogaloo brews up in the background.

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=RDHE7iRpfwqlHvVvWBIhpJZsbTiD5NnL