On the Zahn books - Amazon.co.uk said not available, but the series showed as available on amazon.com...

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxxx@gmail.com
Sent: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 4:15
Subject: Re: [TML] The Jump 3 network....

Dagnabit! I like Zahn a lot (loved Blackcollar and Cobra series) and I didn't know about these books. Now I have to look for them as ePubs. Thanks for the info, Thomas.

TomB

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 10:58 PM Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Jeffery,

Timothy Zahn wrote the five book Quadrail series, I've got four of the books.
Night Train to Rigel, The Third Lynx, Odd Girl Out, The Domino Pattern, and Judgement at Proteus.

The Quadrail is "...an incredible transportation system connecting civilizations across the galaxy." The system is run by sophonts called Spiders. The system uses what look like high tech trains.

Tom Rux
On 07/07/2020 5:36 PM Jeffrey Schwartz <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, the train analogy popped into my head too

And then "Murder on the Regina Express"

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 20:30 Kelly St. Clair < xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
On 7/7/2020 5:05 PM, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah, but you'd need to modify that a bit of liners.....
>
> One variation:
>
> Your 'spine-liner' has crew quarters (bridge and engineering crews,
> nav/helm), reactor, jump drives, limited maneuver drives.
>
> Cargo modules for the 'liner' would include:
> a) Stateroom pod (high or mid)
> b) Low berth pod
> c) Common area pods
>       - many variations, depending on fair class and how fancy the trip was
>               - dining pod
>               - entertainment pods
>               - library pod
>               - commercial pod (so you could shop)
> d) Crew pod (for stewards, security, a medic, plus galley, sick bay, etc)
> e) For smaller ships, a full hospitality pod (staterooms, galley, etc
> with one steward/medic embarked with the passengers)

(snip)

Sounds a bit like the Amtrak long-distance passenger trains.  Do other
countries have equivalents?

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to

http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=IdZfGczCsj6XPgMwRS9nopNYSZ5XsIb5