On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 5:44 AM Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 00:36:36 -0400, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote to Freelance
Traveller:

>At least, that's roughly analogous to what software is like (if there isn't
>a support contract...).

"If architects and builders designed and built buildings the way software
engineers and programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came
along would destroy civilization."

Counterpoint: If an architect was thrown at building a nuclear plant (when his day job was normal commercial real estate) or asked to build biomedical systems or develop a system to generate reasonable yet playable universes for RPGs, he'd kinda struggle. Yet, because a 'software developer/engineer' is allegedly discipline of sub-specialization, we get asked to do all manner of things on the assumption 'well, it's all just software, right....?'.

The reality is you go to see the cardiologist for your heart, the neurosurgeon for nerve related surgeries, an endocrinologist when dealing with hormones or for things like thyroid (not hormones.. forget the other term...), etc. Yet we ask software developers to move from (my career as an example): Mobile communications/public safety applications -> Military simulations and training systems including simulating weather and tactical air navigation aids -> building 3D worlds and the systems that allow massive multi-user setups -> working on telephony and PBXes -> online multi-user gaming (gambling) portal -> 300K user HR web applications -> working on postal point of sale and money order handling -> working on 'nodes' (the systems used in large networks for traffic management) and network management systems -> working on 3G/4G cross-network authentication, authorization, accounting, network monitoring and support tools and porting these frameworks between operating systems...

One of the reasons we often build things less than well is that we are being thrown at way too much new stuff in a short time.

It'd be like an architect or a civil engineer being asked to build a skyscraper one day, a green eco underground complex the next day, a space X mars base the next day, and then a cruise ship and later an anti-matter reactor. It's more than a little bit of a stretch and they could never take an engineering approach (known safe practices and materials for instance... our tools and techniques change by the product, sometimes multiple times in a project).

This is a big part of why we are an immature career. We are highly adaptive but not without a reduction in important knowledge in-detail and there is rarely time to build up best-practices (most of the time, the day's best practice is next year's 'we don't do that any more').

Also:
I build a bridge that I design - I include a lot of components of known attributes and use them in standard or carefully modelled new ways.

Software: I am working on a project needing tools X, Y, Z. Updates are shipped (and can significantly change or break or subtly behave differently every time) daily or weekly. The OS platform is often updating itself. So is the software for the database. Oh, and we've just changed CM tools. And project reporting tools change quite often. And 3rd party libraries... could be totally re-written, entirely deprecated, or just left as abandonware two months down the road.

Try the equivalent of a bridge and it'll be likely to have  a 'Tacoma Narrows' moment...

In fiction and RPGs, you are the nerd, so you can crack a computer that is secured, make allegedly secure wifi gear do whatever the plot needs, and know how to disable something a nutter has been planning for years in a matter of minutes. Real world is ROFLing away....

TomB

>Can someone please explain Jeff's comments about embargo on/embargo off....
>but only once or ... what?

In publishing, a book is often shipped to bookstores prior to the official
release date so that it will be on hand _on_ the release date. If the
publisher forbids early release (e.g., Scholastic/Bloomsbury for the Harry
Potter books), they have "embargoed" or "placed an embargo" on the book.

(Except in _very_ rare cases, Baen does not embargo books. If it's shipped
to your store, you may shelve it and sell it, even if the website says that
the release date is next week).

Analogously, I "embargo" the web version of articles that appear in
Freelance Traveller until the following issue releases in PDF - that is,
for the approximately two months of the cover date on the issue, the ONLY
source for reading the articles is to download the PDF and read them. Once
I post the following issue, the articles become available on the website.

So, for example, if I hadn't screwed up, the day I posted issue 100 in PDF,
you would have been able to read my Prep Room article "Pacing an Adventure"
(which was in the PDF for issue 99) on the website. And had I not screwed
up, the Design Notes for T:17 would not have been on the website until the
end of August/beginning of September, when Issue 101 is scheduled to come
out.

But because of how and when I discovered the screw up, the easiest way to
fix the screwup was to say - for this issue only - "to hell with the
regular embargo", so when I fixed the screwup, I put up Issue 100's
articles on the website as well.

(What Happens When I Post: Immediately after the PDF "goes live", I open my
master [offline] copy of the website and start inserting the articles from
the just-published issue. I then start putting together the Publisher files
and PDFs for next issue, and once they're ready, I insert them into the
master copy of the website. Then, on the last weekend before the first of
the first month on the cover, or, if I'm running late, the weekend
immediately following the insertion into the master copy, I push the
updated website to my host, where it becomes visible to one and all.  This
time, I had mostly finished the insertion of Issue 100's articles when I
realized "Where are the inserted articles from Issue 99?". That's when I
posted O!M!G! to the TML, inserted 99 and finished inserting 100, and
posted the update.)

>I'm sure this would make sense if I grokked the context, but without that,
>I'm left wondering if Jeff is moonlighting for OPEC.....
>-----
>The Traveller Mailing List
>Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
>Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
>To unsubscribe from this list please go to
>http://archives.simplelists.com

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2020. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)
-----