Oh c'mon, you know why.

The guy that wrote the rule wanted it that way!

On Sunday, July 12, 2020, 09:19:39 PM MST, <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Without disrupting the seeming consensus....

Here's a query:

Let's assume I have to fill my jump bubble with fuel, why isn't the ship's tonnage and/or hull type a factor in the amount of fuel required?

Okay, now I'm going to crawl back into my foxhole.

TomB

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 11:11 PM Phil Pugliese - philpugliese at yahoo.com (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
You are *exactly* right & that's why *any* ship can jump with very little fuel.
Usually it's because an enormous expenditure of fuel is required to charge the capacitors but, in the case of b-globe equipped ships or ships w/ 'collectors', like the 'Annic Nova', the capacitors are or can be charged by alternative methods.

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 09:00:11 AM MST, Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello Phil,
On 07/07/2020 7:36 AM Phil Pugliese - philpugliese at yahoo.com (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

Except that *I* am NOT changing the rules.
"The rules say "fuel" is needed but that "fuel" is gone when drop tanks are used."
"Besides, there's always some "fuel" present when a ship enters j-space."

The rules indicate that the fuel in the drop tanks is used first and when empty they can be jettisoned. The internal jump fuel tanks are then used to maintain jump.

"Enough fuel" to provide power thru to exit and transit to port."

The power plant has fuel tankage to sustain the ship for four weeks which includes the 168 plus/minus 16.8 hours in jump space. The two exceptions are the Annic Nova and Express Boat.

Tom Rux

It is those folks who say that a jump can NOT be made who are changing the rules.
Which, of course, as you said, *they* are free to do so.

'Captain: "XO do we have *enough fuel* to make a jump?"
'XO: "We don't have a standard full load but we have more than we usually have *after* we've used almost all of it to charge the capacitors."
'Captain: "Very well. Drop the 'globe, initiate jump, & get us the hell out of this mess!"

On Saturday, July 4, 2020, 08:31:32 PM MST, Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Phil,

Just like in the real world the fuel in the drop tanks is used first and then the internal fuel tank or tanks are used.

We really do not know how long it takes to charge the capacitors.

Per the authors you can change the rules to make things fit your TU.

Tom Rux
On 07/04/2020 5:10 PM Phil Pugliese - philpugliese at yahoo.com (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 10:04:45 PM MST, Kelly St. Clair <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:

On 7/2/2020 8:49 PM, Phil Pugliese - philpugliese at yahoo.com (via tml
list) wrote:

> Well that depends on exactly what the massive expenditure of L-Hyd just
> before jumping accomplishes.
> I believe most folks would say that what is accomplished is charging the
> capacitors.
> In that case the same amount of jump fuel would NOT be required.
> Just like with the Annic Nova.

Yes, but The Rules say that jump always requires fuel.  So it does.
Doesn't matter whether that makes sense in context.
Doesn't matter that Annic Nova doesn't follow The Rules.
All that matters is that those are The Rules, and if you claim to be
playing the game by The Rules, you must follow them.  Exactly.
And if you /aren't/ following The Rules, then you aren't really playing
Traveller, now are you?

</sarcasm>  :p

WRONGO!  <even more sarcasm>

The rules say "fuel" is needed but that "fuel" is gone when drop tanks are used.
Using your logic a ship would need to have fuel that wasn't even needed in order to jump.
Silly, silly!
Besides, there's always some "fuel" present when a ship enters j-space.
"Enough fuel" to provide power thru to exit and transit to port.
So, "enough fuel" is present & YES, I am playing Traveller.
Just NOT 'Silly Traveller'.

p.s. Also, YES, the Annic Nova DOES matter. It's sacred canon as decreed by Creator Marc himself & if you think it doesn't matter then you are NOT really playing Traveller are you?

To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://archives.simplelists.com

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml