Let me ask a followup:

Who does it apply to?
USN only or does it cover attached USMC ?
Does it only apply to non-commissioned ranks?
Does it include warrant officers?
Can officers have their commission revoked or only be reduced in rank?

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, 16:29 Thomas RUX, <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:
Hi kaladorn and Alex,

A Captain's Mast is a legal proceeding that the ship's Commanding Officer (CO)holds when a sailor (enlisted or officer) violates the Uniform Code of Military Justice. The hearing is non-judicial and the CO's judgement leaves no criminal record in the sailor's record. However, the punishments while in port can be restriction of not more than 60 days, extra duties for not more than 45 days, reduction in grade (rank), correctional custody for not more than 30 days, confinement on bread and water for not more than 3 days. At sea or ashore forfeiture of not more than half a month's pay per month for 2 months, or detention of half a month's pay per 3 months. The reduction in rank also throws your advancement cycle out of whack.

Tom Rux
On 07/25/2020 9:52 AM xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

Administrative punishment (vs. a legal proceeding) if I understand correctly. It's not something you want to face. I believe it exists so that crews can deal with bad choices without having to leave too much of a permanent mark in somebody's personnel jacket.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:09 PM Alex Goodwin < xxxxxx@multitel.com.au> wrote:

On 26/7/20 12:03 am, Thomas RUX wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During my time in the USN 1975-1995 we did not legally have booze
> onboard except for a bit held by the corpsman. I've got a cousin who
> is currently serving in the USN and from what he tells me the policy
> is still enforce.
>
> Of course, more often than not someone will have a go at making an
> alcoholic beverage. Getting caught making the booze or bring any
> onboard is going to result in the very least a Captain's mast.
>
> Tom Rux

Tom,

What does "Captain's mast" translate to?  An official bollocking?

Alex

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to

http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=RDHE7iRpfwqlHvVvWBIhpJZsbTiD5NnL