Also, consider that, way back then, a very significant # of french army conscripts spoke languedoc(sp?) as their native language.
And, according to a book I read some time ago. About 10% of conscripts from that time period spoke a language native to them that was mutually unintelligible to french.

If that could be worked around then just about anything could be, IMO.

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 07:30:10 AM MST, Hubert Figuiere <xxxxxx@figuiere.net> wrote:

On 2020-07-21 6:17 a.m., xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
> In theory....
> They both speak French like Aussies and Scots speak English.
> The claim here is continental french has mutated and Quebec french stayed
> closer to 1700s french.
> Je ne sais pas rien!

That claim is false. It is just they evolved differently, because it's a
living language. With different accents, different lexicons.

A person from Quebec will have less trouble understanding a French
person, than the otherway, because they are more exposed to "European
French" than French people are exposed to Quebecois French.[1][4]

This applies to other languages too:

Ask an American whether they drive a lowry or a saloon, and if they have
spare trousers in their boot in case they spill something.
Also here in Canada we find that colour is mispelled by our neighbours
but we'd need to wrap our head around the question above as well.[2]

Funnily in Traveller everyone seems to speak the same Galanglic. Unless
there is the hand-waived universal translator.

Hub

[1] English is my second language. Born and raised in France, living in
Canada for quite a while.

[2] as an oversimplication, Canadian English is the Queen's English
spelling and the American lexicon.[3]

[3] This is really oversimplifying. It is not that dry cut.

[4] French is also spoken on Ontario (Franco-Ontarians) and in the
maritimes (Acadians, New Brunswick) with their own take.

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=ckeZ4SpMkTqj0RuowdhoVbpeCyPfxFia