I have 'Belter' but never played.

FFW & IE have always been favorites of mine.

I still wonder why GDW stopped making Trav strategic wargames.

Imagine the First Frontier War exploding & leading to decades of conflict.

Or the Third Frontier War followed by the SolRimWar.

On Saturday, August 1, 2020, 12:11:06 PM MST, xxxxxx@gmail.com <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, Pandemic (and some of its offshoot variations) is pretty great. Plague, Inc. is pretty good too.

Then that leads to Dead of Winter, Zombicide, Last Night on Earth, Zombies, etc.

And then I see my shelves and my boardgamearena.com games list and I see Tokaido, Dirk Henn's Shogun, Euphoria, Taj Mahal, and lots of old Cheap Ass games (the most brilliant which has an entire game within a game is Parts Unknown). And my favourite card game is either Xactica or Rage with the original rules (not the wimpy later ones).

I should include obTrav: Belter (we Belters all ganged up on the law enforcers and beat them down so we could do what we wanted...), Fifth Frontier War, and Invasion: Earth. ;)

TomB

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:19 PM Ethan McKinney <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
It's black as all heck right now, but Pandemic ...

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 10:58 AM <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
We have a bunch of shorter games (kittens in a blender, bonanza, my first carcassone, get bit, colt expresd, forbidden sky, shake out, splendor) for MJ, but she has played Lords of Waterdeep and Takenoko. TFM may be a bit too deep yet.

I like TTR - have on steam. Love PG and Factory Manager.

Other personal faves: Formula De, Alhambra, Gardens of Alhambra, Twilight Struggle, Wingspan, Clans of Caledonia, Raiders of the North Sea, Machi Koro, Catsle of Mad King Ludwig, Between Two Cities, Caylus, Imperial and Imperial 2030 plus old school Republic or Rome.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020, 11:56 Alex Goodwin, <xxxxxx@multitel.com.au> wrote:
On 1/8/20 7:54 am, Thomas RUX wrote:
> Hi kaladorn,
>
> My losses are planned to give them a bit of a fight so that they will
> want to teach me how to play and win. Another reason is to give their
> Mom/Aunt a break.
>
> Tom Rux
>> On 07/31/2020 8:02 AM xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> I think we all do that.
>>
>> When my wife and I play a more complex game with my daughter, at
>> times we'll play 'fairly sub optimally' just so she can win or come
>> close. Sometimes it is good for her to fail in order to be good at
>> managing those emotions and to realize she has to push to improve,
>> but mostly it is about letting her maintain an interest and to
>> sometimes get the thrill of beating the elders. It can be tricky to
>> throw a game without looking like one is...
>>
>> A friend who has 3 daughters and is 'the competitive guy' in any
>> group had a different strategy: He always played to win so that when
>> his daughters' could eke out a victory, they'd know the sense of
>> achievement after waiting so long. I'm not sure mine would have the
>> fiery desire to win that would keep her hanging in there without
>> winning against us elders. I'm less concerned with who wins than
>> fostering the interest in gaming generally.

Tom, kaladorn,

Have either of you tried any euro-style games?  I remember TableTop
showing quite a few off (and causing stockouts of some featured games).
For example, Ticket To Ride (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmf1bau9xQ
- watch out for the ROLEX!).

They tend to focus more on economics, resource acquisition and thus
indirect conflict - player elimination (such as bankruptcy in Grind Into
Dogmeat aka Monopoly) seems to be fairly rare.

My infection vector was Power Grid, back at GenCon AU in 2008.  One
thing that I particularly like, and may help in your "training future
gamers" endeavours, is that lower-ranked players get first crack in a
turn at buying fuel for their power plants and building out their ...
umm.... power grids.  If you're out in front, or seen to be out in
front, this can _really_ throw a spanner into your plans.

Alex

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to

http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=ckeZ4SpMkTqj0RuowdhoVbpeCyPfxFia