The difference to me between MT and the ATU (GT/CT flavour) was mostly that in CT, your adventures were about local things (by local, I could mean a few planets or just a small ship or small area) and the characters mostly were chasing after their own goals and solving modest mysteries and so on but in MT, the setting literally cried out to be the focus of missions, adventures, etc. and where the Rebellion background would actually be the foreground instead (the Rebellion would overtake most petty concerns).

If the SPA is responsible for all Imperial starports, that would logically include E types. Would they have an office there? Or would they simply have some signs posted identifying the site as an extrality and the a jurisdiction of the Imperium as administered through the SPA?

Starport E: A perimeter fence with some flat-ish space identified on the local site survey as 'landing pad' and appropriate signage indicating the extrality zone as being under Imperial Authority. Otherwise, there may be nothing there...

TomB

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 5:44 PM Thomas Jones-Low <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
On 8/19/2020 5:26 PM, Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 13:51:10 -0700 (PDT), Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I read something recently, unfortunately I now can not find it, from either
>> Loren Wiseman or Donald McKinney that GT's alternate TL was a way to allow
>> licensing to both SJG and Imperium Games.
>
> In retrospect, I think it was a bad decision. SJG should have gotten the
> primary timeline license, and Imperium Games should have been told where to
> get off. It would have meant a temporary abeyance of 2d6 Traveller, but I'm
> not convinced that Imperium Games' mishandling of the product line was
> better.

        Based upon the dates of publication of the books, I thought the Imperium Games
license expired before the SJGames license was negotiated. At the very least
Imperium games stopped publishing in 1997 and the GT Core rules started in 1998.
There was no overlap there.

        Also, based upon the editorials that Loren wrote (available as Grongard from
FFE) Loren and Steve wanted the ATU because they felt the Rebellion/TNE was not
a good palace to have adventures, but really liked the Golden Era / CT universe,
but also wanted to advance the timeline.

--
         Thomas Jones-Low
Work:   xxxxxx@softstart.com