On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 7:01 PM Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 00:04:32 -0400, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote to Freelance
Traveller:

>Question:
>Jeff, is the choice to go to numerics for Spaceports and retain alphabetics
>for Starports a conscious choice to give an immediate queue to what on is
>dealing with? Or was there another reason to change Spaceport codes to
>numerics?

That depends on how you want to define 'spaceport' rather than 'starport'.
You'll note that the numeric codes are for what I called "secondary
starports". I would consider the difference between "starport" and
"spaceport" to be that a "starport" can handle interstellar traffic
directly; a "spaceport" only handles in-system traffic. The difference
between the "primary" starport and a "secondary" starport would generally
be the traffic levels.

So are cases that would be covered be:

- No Starport, No Spaceports
- No Starport, Only Spaceports
- Starport (1), No Spaceports
- Starport (1), Spaceports
- Starport and Secondary Starports, Spaceports

(I have omitted Starport and Secondary Starports, No Spaceports only because any place that has that much Starport Traffic surely must have Spaceports....).

When you say 'handles interstellar traffic', given a 100 ton ship can be a system ship or an interstellar ship, really means 'handles the legal/customs/immigration/health stuff that would not be as present on a spaceport' normally. Does that sound right?

>I'd looked at your stuff on Starports before and found it interesting, but
>I didn't give it the depth of focus to really see how it would look over a
>diverse array of systems one might want to model.
>
>The requirement to have ship repair and ship building (and that jump ship
>building only happens at an A type starport) is kind of senseless since it
>is unlikely that any emergent culture might want to build their own jump
>ships but don't have an A class facility... so they just 'Ah, until we can
>afford the A class port, we can't build any local ships folks... SPA rules.
>Sorry.'?

I happen to agree, and were I designing the UWP from scratch, I would
separate out "port" from "yards" - and I would separate out "repair yards"
from "construction yards". However, for this particular thread, I stayed
with the standard, which includes a yard, because that's how it was written
and kept since 1977.

I figured that. And I agree with you re segregating port/yard facilities. Ports should strictly be the processing and movement of people and goods. Yards should be a different beast.

I also think yards maybe ought to have a maximum tonnage limit as well as a tech level limit for repairs and construction.