I think the opening episodes (the attack on the fleets of the colonies and the colonies, the desperate escape, the episode '33') and the movie/offshoot Razor were some gripping storytelling.

The original was fun and I loved Dirk Benedict in just about everything he did (even the little known movie he was in where he played a 'Rambo' esque war veteran coming home to a harsh welcome). I liked Lorne Greene - his bearing and voice well portrayed a good leader character I think. And everyone loved Vipers, Raiders and the Galactica itself. Some of the disco moments and music do not improve the re-watching. And the episode with the devil (Iblis?) was a bit odd to my thinking. Did love the Eastern Alliance destroyers and the destroyer Captain they captured.

But let's talk about where that fell off the rails:
Battlestar Galactica 1980 anyone?

(Bleach for my minds-eye please!)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:29 AM Christopher Sean Hilton <xxxxxx@vindaloo.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 06:31:06AM -0700, Thomas RUX wrote:

> Hi kaladorn,
>
>     On 08/26/2020 7:56 PM xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Snip
>
>     They rebooted Battlestar Galactica and the reboot's first season
>     or two and one of the specials were truly amazing. It was still
>     BSG, but it was different and still gripping with different
>     threads wound around the common thread of survivors of a
>     multi-planet polity that was smashed by a cybernetic enemy.  The
>     end was a mess (wrote themselves into things they couldn't
>     explain) but the early first and second seasons were solid
>     enough to be likely better than the original series.
>
> Personally, I was disappointed with the rebooted Battlestar
> Galactica in many areas and I did not get the same feeling as the
> original series. The one area that made a difference was the upgrade
> special effects.

I feel that while both were good at the time that they were created,
Ron Moore's reboot was a solidly better story. I agree with those that
say the wheels fell off shortly after they left New Caprica. But, the
reboot also lasted nearly twice as long as the original series. Had
they been made, seasons three and four of the original BSG could have
been just as bad or worse than the reboot.

--
Chris

     __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
   _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]
-----
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=RDHE7iRpfwqlHvVvWBIhpJZsbTiD5NnL