I think Hornblower was also similarly inspired.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:43 PM <xxxxxx@quibell.org.uk> wrote:

I’m pretty sure that O’Brian used Cochrane as a basis for Aubrey …

From: xxxxxx@simplelists.com <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> On Behalf Of xxxxxx@gmail.com
Sent: 15 September 2020 09:06
To: The Traveller Mailing List <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Subject: Re: Ian Douglas books was Re: pronouncing was Re: [TML]A question for the panel regarding jump drive and relativity

Hop on Amazon and  you will find many books on Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl Dundonald, Admiral of the Red, Rear-Admiral of the United Kingdom, former UK MP, and arguably one of the best frigate commanders the Napoleonic period and a pretty decent admiral as well. Also helped develop a treatment for timbers in ship hulls that vastly extended lifespan.

I believe this is the first book I read about him. He rampaged up and down the coasts of the continent taking prizes and even captured *with a Frigate's landing party* a fortified harbour that nobody imagined could be overwhelmed in the way Cochrane did it.

He was a Scot and had all of the diplomacy one might expect there... which made him enemies of the careerists and those profiting off of the process of repairing ships hulls (who then also refused to endorse the use of Cochrane's treatment that would extend hull timber life and thus reduce maintenance frequency and expense). He made enemies.

In addition to being a naval officer, a parliamentarian, a reformer, an inventor... he also became a hero to several countries fighting for their freedom in South America. Somewhere, a friend of mine who travelled south, has a picture he took at the memorial to Cochrane in Museo Armada de Chile.

Nae bad frae ae wee Scot!

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 7:05 PM <xxxxxx@quibell.org.uk> wrote:

Agree,

O’Brian’s series is by far the better of the two.

C.S. Forester's Hornblower novels are good, but O’Brian are where I would go to try to live and breathe the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.

Best regards,

Ewan