On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 12:50 AM Alex Goodwin <xxxxxx@multitel.com.au> wrote:

On 25/9/20 9:43 am, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

> That said, it is the specie of trade within the Imperium, but there
> are thousands of other currencies and have varying exchange rates. (I
> used the article out of the wee-book version of TAS from way back in
> CT to establish planetary currency values although I add a bit of a
> random factor and a bit of a 'what's the local situation?' aspect in
> determining the final rates and they change daily).
You actually seem to be reinforcing my point about deconstructing latent
assumptions - this time of TML members, not my players.  The _Second_
Imperium does not yet exist in PA, and it looks like the 3I has been
well and truly butterflied away.

Sure, but even what was there before would have something of the sort. Pretty much anytime two systems would need to trade, this kind of operation would need to exist. Even if you lacked a common currency, you'd still need to handle exchange rates between (assuming no wars and no so much difference as to make exchange senseless).

>     The sheer amount of _damage_ the PCs have done to their own ship
>     has had
>     me in tears, laughing.
>

> Are you sure your pilot's early life background was not 'Demoliton
> Derby Driver'?
Ziru Sirka Navy helmscritter, actually.

Same difference.
;)

>     I have yet to fully introduce the effects lack of faster-than-travel
>     comms has had on banking.  That should be interesting.
>

> The system has had hundreds if not thousands of years to sort out FTL
> issues. There must be some common inter-polity agreements (when not at
> war) and there must be some common ways to extend credit throughout
> nearby planets.
See above about latent assumptions.  As far as the ZS is concerned, I
doubt the Terran Confederation _qualifies_ as a polity.

That's quite possibly true. Then again, traders on the fringes would already probably tried to trade with the Terrans and Terran traders vice versa so there's probably already some trade (perhaps interrupted by a IW or two) but even in wartime, their may be some cross border trade (content might vary as might the cost of trade, but it may still go on).

Note 'goes on' and 'is approved by either government' are entirely distinct....

>     - Disabling the ship's armour.  (Nikki ended up stripping the entire
>     original, compromised, armour shell and is in the process of
>     replacing it)
>

> Why would law-abiding individuals need defenses?
I think you contradicted yourself in your next point.  Assuming malice
where incompetence suffices, etc.

Clearly my tongue was distorting my cheeks substantively.

I am not half the optimist you seem to be. I assume BOTH malice and incompetence. ;)
> Repat after me: NEVER let the Captain take the helm. IF you think it
> might work okay, THINK AGAIN.
In general, that would depend on the skills of the individual skipper.
An experienced _Iiken_ driver (1I analogue to Xboats) probably wouldn't
be a problem, as she's had to fly, astrogate and handle jump drive
single-handed.  Drake Milford, though - definitely.

"Captain, your job is to be focused on the big picture. Let the pilot fly."

> To avoid banks (registered or underworld), some people would use a
> shawallah model (A trusted courier is sent from A to B to deliver
> money but he does not carry it, but instead he stops at someone with
> money at B and provides some information to convince that someone that
> monies deposited at A in his name will cover the money the courier
> wants, who then takes it to the customer). This works in ethnic
> communities that are fairly insular but stretch across multiple systems.
>
> TomB

I think the term you're looking for is "hawalah".  Thanks for the tip -
I'll have to go mine for ideas.

Likely. I heard of this when we were focused on Afghanistan, not Pandemic Zombie Plague 2020/2021/2022. This method was popular in that part of the world and how many folks got money from/to their families if they had left Afghanistan for the West.

There's a billion ideas when it comes to ways to move value.
#Make the Ziru Sirka Great Again
#TerransWinning
#CreditsNotNavies