A jump-1 ship is only viable in the rare circumstance where you have a worthwhile jump-1 route - for everything else, they are just too slow, and dont get paid enough times a year.

TLDR : Ignore mains. They are completely unimportant after the fall of the First Imperium.

The design sequences also have secondary impacts, because the stuff in the design sequences are also trade goods - for example, sandcaster ammo would be shipped around, and laser turrets might well be built in some system other than the one where they are put onto a ship.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
Evening Ian,

I wanted to make sure that you really met Book 5.

Thank you for the economics lesson and I very sure that I'll stick with the design and construction system.

Tom Rux

From: "Ian Whitchurch" <ian.whitchurch@gmail.com>
To: tml@simplelists.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:23:00 PM

Subject: Re: [TML] Original CT LBB's scoutship vs CT HG scoutship?

The mention of book 4 means I typo'd book 5 :)

Having pre-built components that can be plugged together is a great idea, but having them have their own "special cases" is where problems come in.

An example of economics being important is what the 20 dton minimum bridge size does to the size of merchant ships. Briefly, a starship needs about 13% of volume per jump number for j-drive, fuel and power plant. Add 7% of total volume for miscellaneous crap like crew staterooms, turrets, computer, maneuver drive and the rest of it, and thats more-or-less what a merchant ship looks like.

A 200 dton merchant ship is 10% bridge. A 2000 dton merchant ship is 1% bridge. Therefore, ten 200 dton merchant ships cannot carry as much cargo as one 2000 dton merchant ship, because they are collectively lugging around ten times as much Bridge.

The 200 dton Far Trader isnt going to happen, in short. Trade will be done by bigger ships.

A second example is what gets built where. The 3I is defined by a massive range of tech levels in it's member worlds, but a TL15 merchant ship is only a bit more efficient than a TL12 merchant. On the other hand, a TL15 warship is ~10 times more efficient than a TL12 warship. Therefore, you'd expect a lot of merchant ships to be built at lower TLs - who wants to pay Imperial credits for some tub thats going to be jumping back and forth between frontier worlds ?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Ian,

No comments on non-gearheads.

The Book 2 "special cases" are basically home brew rules or manipulating them to make the design work in my opinion. Looking at Book 2 1st edition my impression was that all hulls needed a power plant could be any letter to generate enough internal power to run ship's computer and life support. Additionally, in order for the power plant to generate power for the maneuver drive and provide internal their letters had to at least match each other. Of course having a high lettered power plant was okay too.

Whoever built the "special cases" using Book 2 1st edition manipulated the rules to make the designs work without bothering to pass the manipulation up the editorial chain for approval and inclusion into the rules.

I can't comment on economics since I never got that far in the rules, my interest is the design and construction processes. Personally, my knowledge of economics is just enough for me to keep my checkbook up to date and complain about the high cost of stuff.

Book 2, in my opinion, tried to pull together a very simple design and construction system that used limited math to quickly build additional ships. In order to do that the game designers decided to set up a table that had modules that plugged into a list of hull tonnages.

What does CT Book 4 Mercenary have to do with CT Book 2?

To everyone I'm apologizing here because I am so far behind in reading through the TML I'm skipping to the newest posts that have come in today 10/28. Heck, I spent most of my time trying to reply to this post, I just couldn't and feel I've down a good job a reply.
Tom Rux