Hello again Bruce Johnson,

My apologies for including previously mentioned material, I deleted my sent email so I am not sure what was quoted earlier.

From JTAS 24 1985 Jumpspace p. 36 Required items: An operating jump drive requires several basic components which, when operating together, make jump possible.

Power Source: Jump uses large amounts of energy to rip open the barriers between normal space and jump space. Normally, only a fusion power plant can supply this energy. Some alternate systems make use of a solar generator (which operate much more slowly), or anti-matter power systems (rare and very high-tech).

I may be wrong but I do not get the impress that the "jump drive is solar or anti-matter fuelled", my interpretation is the power plant utilizes solar energy or anti-matter instead of the standard fusion model.

The only example I can think of that uses solar energy is the Annic Nova from JTAS No. 1 1979 pp. 17-32. The Annic Nova has a solar accumulators to charge the jump capacitors and supplies internal power.

The Darrians, IIRC, still have starships using antimatter power plants.

Even with all the material published a jump drive still has not been clearly defined other than by vague information.

Tom R

From: "Bruce Johnson" <xxxxxx@Pharmacy.Arizona.EDU>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:46:37 PM
Subject: Re: Jump Fuel (was Re: [TML] Instant city)

> On Feb 11, 2016, at 3:00 PM, tmr0195@comcast.net wrote:
>
> Hi Bruce Johnson,
>
> Marc Miller's article in JTAS 24 did not cover how the refined liquid hydrogen was used. From CT LBB 2 1977 my take was that the jump drive's fusion power plant used the fuel. When CT LBB 5 1979, CT LBB 5 1980, CT LBB 2 1977/1981 and the JTAS 24 article in 1985 came out I have no clue why the jump fuel has to be refined since the maneuver drive does not care as long as the power plant provides the power.

These are the inconsistencies that have lead to long back&forth discussions about this stuff here. Fundamentally it doesn’t make sense (particularly in light of the mentions of "solar and antimatter-‘fuelled’” jump drives) that:

1- so MUCH fuel is fused, the amount of energy is staggering
2- Why a separate fusion drive is needed
3- Why ‘un-refined’ fuel makes the ship more likely to misjump.
4- Why fuel is related to the volume of the ship, rather than the mass.

However, using very pure mono-molecular H2 as a buffer between the N-space of the ship and J-space makes all of the above make a great deal more sense:

1- the drive doesn’t generate THAT much energy, it’s just that the jump capacitors are needed to dump it into the grid all at once.
2- the separate plant is eliminated, the regular ship’s power plant is used by the J-drive, which is supported in early rule sets
3- Impurities alter the buffering capability of the H2 shield
4- the volume of the ship determines the volume of buffer needed.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=zZOCJCw2BI9jPrGTB4OJoibiHbbTEiok