See Deathworld by Harry Harrison on depiction of a high-g society.

If IN includes Wikipedia-like resource I its ships, then this would be a good explanation of why 2I failed :-)

Cheers

Greg

On 12/02/2016 9:58 PM, "Knapp" <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
So to lose the ship let's just say it miss-jumps two time and both time 36 in about the same direction. The search for this ship could go on for a really long time being such a huge asset but it might even be declared lost after they search the first 72 parsecs diameter space area and find nothing.

To get rid of the crew you could say that all the problem started with a disease that took out most of the crew or even an Alien type infection. :-)

I think this ship could land on a world without to much damage. Sure it is not designed to but it does have 6g thrusters and an armored shell. Even a bad crash might not hurt it that badly but if grav tech failed you might have mashed crew and an AI landing. Imagine 6g grav tech switching from full plus to full minus a few times in quick succession! To sure what percentage would be killed but it might be a lot.

Just had a funny vission. Imagine the ship crashed and upright but the gravity is stuck in -1g or worse -2g! The natives walk on the ceiling and become very strong and the greatest warrior around due to the constant 2g living. Or if you want to get medical make it only 1.2 or whatever the max is the humans can live with. The city of the strong upsidedown people. :-)

Clearly the ship would have basic training for the crew. It would likely have something like wikipedia also. And a last point. I might be able to build, repair or even understand my high tech smart phone but my 3 year old can use it. . .

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Greg Chalik <mrg3105@gmail.com> wrote:

Tom, that's a good enough guess for me.

But, why 2Ps?

Greg

On 12/02/2016 8:53 PM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Greg,

I've looked in my CT material and may have missed details for communicators or sensors that can track warships over the territory that the Third Imperium covers.

MT Referee's Manual Passive EMS Array has a range of 2 Parsecs from TL 10 to TL 18 and the longest range for communicators is 1,000 AU. TNE FF&S and T4 FF&S are similar to the specifications in MT.

Based on the MT information a PEMS Array are able to track contacts up 2 parsecs away, but.

IIRC when a miss jump occurs the procedure is to roll on six sided die to determine how many dice to roll for the number of parsecs the ship goes. The miss jump distance could be from 1 to 36 parsecs. A single die is rolled to determine the direction of the miss jump.

In CT my answer, until I can find something, is no the IN cannot track naval assets even at TL 15.
MT/TNE/T4 I am not sure since I'm not very good with the detection rules. However making a guess there is a chance that if the asset is within 2 parsecs of a PEMS array it can be tracked while in normal space.

Once the ship enters jump space there is no way to track the ship.

The best tracking method I can think of is when the asset departed from one scheduled port and arrived at the next scheduled port and at each port a courier ship would be dispatched to the nearest major naval base saying the asset departed or arrived in a specified port. A miss jump or other unscheduled lay over may be missed.

That is my best guess at this time.

Tom R