Hello Bruce Johnson,

In CT Supplement 9 p. 20 the specifications lists the 400-ton Fleet Courier as being a TL 15 hull capable of a 6 Parsec jump.

Tom R

From: "Bruce Johnson" <xxxxxx@Pharmacy.Arizona.EDU>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2016 6:06:59 PM
Subject: Re: [TML] Instant city

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 6:39 PM, William Ewing (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
>
> The USS Indianapolis dropped off the a-bomb, and left for it's classified next port. Noone knew her schedule, noone tracked her. So when she was sunk, noone knew to look for her. Because of that, we now have to file movement reports. We list all waypoints of each transit, and the scheduled arrivals at each. If we are more than 4 hours ahead of or behind our Plan of Intended Movement, then we have to send a new MOVREP. That narrows a missing ship down to an 8-hour window at PIM-speed (typically 15 knots or less, so within 60 nautical miles of where we should have been, if 15 is PIM-speed.

The Imperium CANNOT DO THIS. The most recent information the IN can possibly have of a ship that is not in a particular system is 7 days old. That increases by 7 days for every two parsecs (presuming the use of J2 Scouts/Couriers for comms) farther away the ship is. And they cannot get something *back* to where the ship was supposed to be except in the same time.

The existence of jump lag prevents this kind of close command and control; HQ might be *months* behind the front lines.

The absolute worst case of a misjump is 36 parsecs, which is 107 days away from where a ship is supposed to be at J2.

That’s roughly 4 months.

The IN operates like Admiral Nelson’s Navy, not Admiral Halsey’s.
--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=zZOCJCw2BI9jPrGTB4OJoibiHbbTEiok