Didn't say it'd help, if you got a hull breach in battle in an enemy system. Just that, as a matter of "safety" and bureaucratic regs, they'd be automatic, and wouldn't be designed to be turned off.
Real warcraft today are legally required to have them, and can't legally disable them. Even if a SWCC boat dropping off SEALS wouldn't want it to go off.

From: Craig Berry <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2016 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: [TML] Instant city

Again, that only helps if you're able to search the system where the ship was last seen. If the enemy just won a battle there and they're holding onto their gains, that won't be an option. Even the loudest alert beacon won't help much if you're 50 lightyears from the nearest friendly base that might hear it.

Also, note that such screamers probably won't work the same way in space warcraft. The last thing a crippled spacecraft limping away from a battle needs is a beacon shouting "Hey, that damaged ship is right over here!"

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 10:17 PM, William Ewing (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
This email was sent from yahoo.com which does not allow forwarding of emails via email lists. Therefore the sender's email address (xxxxxx@yahoo.com) has been replaced with a dummy one.

Emergency Locator Beacons today (EPIRBs) can't usually be turned off. You can activate them, test them, or leave them in standby. If they go in the water, they start screaming, telling the world your ship just sank at these coordinates. You'd have to disassemble each one installed on board, and they're not big machines. They're the size of home fire extinguishers (so easy to forget and easy to miss), mounted similarly, and there should be at least 2 on a ship, possibly many more. Additionally, there's the Man Overboard Indicator, MOBI, which is like a personnel EPIRB, attached to every lifejacket.
In a long-developed space setting, I'd expect something very similar to both being required on all commercial and naval vessels, and at the least highly encouraged on private non-commercial vessels.