Oh, absolutely! I don't think anyone is blaming GDW, in the sense of saying they did an intentionally bad job at providing Traveller canon. But as you say, they were just a few people, all with other projects, and with little world-building experience. The wonder is that what they created was compelling and cohesive enough to still interest us 40 years later.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
I'm tired of having Marc Miller blamed for the situation. We the fans over the last thirty-nine years have asked for rule clarifications, offered suggestions to clarify fuzzy rules, suggested rules to improve the game, and generally filled in the wide open details presented in LBB 1-3 1977.
Marc Miller and the GDW staff had several other games and projects going on at the same time Traveller was published and pretty much took on a life of its own. With all of the other stuff going on there is little wonder there are gaps in the TU. In my opinion Marc Miller and the GDW staff attempted to give us what we asked for.
Tom R

From: "Craig Berry" <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:04:29 PM
Subject: Re: [TML]Tracking spaceships in Jump TU, was: Instant city

Exactly. If you want to handwave it, you can couple it to the volume-based nature of the jump bubble version of jump H2 usage. There's a threshold at 100dt below which you can't form a reliably stable jump bubble around a craft.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:03 AM, Kelly St. Clair <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
On 2/13/2016 11:22 PM, Greg Chalik wrote:

On 13 February 2016 at 14:26, Craig Berry <xxxxxx@gmail.com
<mailto:xxxxxx@gmail.com>> wrote:

    It's well established by canon that 100dt is the lower boundary on
    what can enter Jump.

​Why?

Its the start of 21st century and we can 3D-print a fully-functioning
jet engine the size of a microwave oven.
Why can't at TL15 the IN not produce some way of tracking their ships
backwards in Jump space?
I'm having a real hard time accepting that in a TL15 world, travel works
based on 17th century concepts (its not even Lord Nelson)

You've already been told:  Because Marc (and the LBBs, and all the Bigger Not-Black Books since) say so.  There's really not much more reason nor logic to most of the OTU than that.  You either accept it, or go play something else.  (Or have a psychotic episode.)

Craig Berry (http://google.com/+CraigBerry)
"Eternity is in love with the productions of time." - William Blake
-----

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=PltOdItWBSgOP4y0Q6abkGbDI1eus0lz