(Love love love the level of traffic!!)

Ok, here's my take on it.

Early Jump Drives need a gas bubble to inflate the portion of space time. These are refined more and more allowing for longer jumps - transiting "deeper" jump spaces with stranger physics.

Just like early J1 and J2 drives require a "backstop" endpoint to precipitate them out of J Space, and at TTL 12 that is overcome allowing for deep space jumps.

At TTL 16 a breakthrough in jumpspace physics allows for *energy* fields to provide the bubble, at hideous levels of power. The only engines powerful enough are antimatter.

However due to the energy density of antimatter fuel, at that higher TTL you can carry fuel for many jumps.

Higher TTL drives can do other things, like shorten transit times to days, or open a jump space conduit and squirt radio through it.

At obscene TTLs you can 'squirt' physical objects like missiles/HK robots etc.

I like the idea of smaller jump ships  being possible - just 2dt of drive and 10dt of fuel is required.

Just my headcannon for jump drives :)

Sent from my batphone

On Feb 12, 2016, at 5:55 PM, Craig Berry <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

The Jump Bubble explanation is the one that comes closest to both making some kind of sense, and being canonical. It's contradicted by Darrian antimatter ships and the Annic Nova. But I'm happy to eject those from canon to make things work reasonably.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 5:19 PM, <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12 Feb 2016 at 9:36, Kelly St. Clair wrote:
> Most of the attempted explanations/handwaves for "what do they DO with
> all that H2?" run into the problem that, if one accepts [hypothesis],
> there's almost always some way to "fuel" a jump which is MUCH superior
> to lugging around a substantial fraction of the ship's volume in LHyd.
> "Breaking" that arbitrary rule has significant second-order effects on
> military capabilities, merchant traffic and economics, etc etc.

I go with the 'a jump drive is made up of a mess of capacitors and other stuff'
explanation, and assume that the jump 'fuel' is used to create a 'jump bubble' and to
maintain it during jump (so some is used on entry, and the rest over the course of the
jump).

It avoids the whole question of special reactors and so on.

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://archives.simplelists.com

--
Craig Berry (http://google.com/+CraigBerry)
"Eternity is in love with the productions of time." - William Blake