Hello all,

I will admit that I may have drawn a faulty conclusion but the material I've read suggested that the Terrans usually left the admin offices in place and assigned at least one officer to be in charge. I also vaguely recall that there were systems that broke away from the First Imperium during the Interstellar Wars and continued to go there own way after the war. Then during the Long Night a lot of systems had no choice system Interstellar Traveller stopped.

Tom R

From: "Bruce Johnson" <xxxxxx@Pharmacy.Arizona.EDU>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:45:00 PM
Subject: Re: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity

> On Feb 16, 2016, at 5:36 PM, Craig Berry <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> What happened IMTU is that the Solomani tore down Vilani institutions but had no idea how to erect replacements which were durable on an interstellar scale. Their mistake was attempting to spread democracy through military conquest (e.g. the American reshaping of post-war Japan) to cultures which had either no tradition of democracy at all or else where such traditions had been crushed millenia ago by the imposition of Vilani culture.

Or, analogous to what happened in Romania, after the Ceausescu’s were deposed. There’s a reason we call it ‘Balkanization’  and Gov-7 exists :-/

I expect that some of those existing cultures long suppressed by the Vilani re-asserted themselves and they weren’t about to be ruled by those upstart Solomani, and the Vilani worlds were, mainly, lost until they figured out how to exist in the new order; the Solomani were reviled as the ones who tore the old order down.

It would make the bloodshed and genocide between Serbia and Kosovo look like a mild spat between two neighbors over leaving the garbage cans out too long.

They didn’t agree on anything but that the Solomani were at fault. Honestly, I’m amazed that the 2nd Imperium lasted as long as it did.

The Long Night had many nights of Long Knives.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=zZOCJCw2BI9jPrGTB4OJoibiHbbTEiok