-------- Original message --------
From: Greg Chalik
Date:02/17/2016 12:13 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
Subject: Re: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity

Kelly, with all due respect, I expect my home to have AI in about a decade.
I expect it not to want to kill me in the process of managing its assigned tasks.

The F-35 is the last manned combat fighter to serve with the USAF. Even now, the F-35s pilot is mostly a passenger.

I agree that "Adventure is something dangerous and exciting happening to someone else, far far away.", but few people expect not to return.
In any case, do you have a source from canon that all IN ship's company sign up for an 'adventure'?
I'd say most sign up for a service cruise.
The only adventure types in the USN are those who volunteer for SEAL service.

"I don't believe this to be true"

From a purely personal perspective, I would find it dissapointing to start an adventure, only to be told in an hour that due to an undortunate dice roll my ship misjumped and all PCs are going to die of old age, slowly drifting nowhere

"You would be told that a 'X'relay had shorted and the ship had misjudged and everyone aboard was going to die of old age, slowly drifting nowhere unless you can repair it and find fuel. Everyone that didn't sign up for adventure can cycle out the lock now to save consumables.

Greg

On 17 February 2016 at 15:13, Kelly St. Clair <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
First, I do not believe there is much support in the canon for most starships - even at high TLs - to be equipped with AI, let alone ones programmed with the Three Laws.  While rules for such exist (Book 8, et al), this does not appear to be a common feature in published ship designs.

Second, IMO, when the car, or ship, can take independent action to prevent (or minimize) harm to sophonts - and is required by law to do so in most cases that PCs will encounter - then I submit you are not technically in control; you are a passenger.

"Adventure is something dangerous and exciting happening to someone else, far far away."

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=u04IjhfiZ2F5ML3fPcArPqGjYhQS2p72