Hello Greg Chalik,

Talking to or knowing someone that has been or is in the military is totally different from living the experience.

If any one wants to know what the requirements are to be a SEAL they can find the information, a majority of people do not care. Heck, you have to volunteer to be a SEAL

Do you know that submarine volunteers and crew have psychological evaluations too. Most people do not care one bit unless they are or know someone who wants to volunteer.

From The American Heritage Dictionary:

Adventure: 1. An undertaking of a hazardous nature; a risky enterprise. 2. An unusual experience or course of events marked by excitement and suspense. 3. Participation in hazardous or exciting experiences.

In canon a starship can miss-jump on a roll of 2D6 with a result 13+, if all the modifiers that can cause a miss-jump are minimized then the chances of the miss jump can not be met.

By the definitions of adventure a miss-jump is an undertaking of a hazardous nature when any of the modifiers can be applied to the die roll and it exceeds the failure criteria of 13+.

In one Traveller session I in and have notes for the ship was skimming for fuel which is an undertaking of a hazardous nature in my opinion. The notes have the failure criteria as 7+ without any modifiers we rolled an 8 adding and subtracting modifiers put the final total a 10. The ship was lost with all hands.

I will not discuss this further since we have drifted from the topic of Tracking spaceships in Jump TU, was Instant city. I will not continue the discussion in another thread since we have not been able to establish a solid frame of reference that we both agree with.

Thank you for the discussion and your viewpoint.

Tom R

From: "Greg Chalik" <mrg3105@gmail.com>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:59:47 AM
Subject: Re: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity

Tom,

I have know enough people in the military to speak with some authority. For most its a job, and one they train to do well. Adventurous types that seek some sort of a thrill are not welcome.

SEAL training is famous for physical selection, but few know about the psych tests which is the reason most drop out. A SEAL, for that matter all covert operatives, are required to at the same time have an iron will and a very elastic mindset ever contemplating alternative courses of action based on changes EXPECTED to occur during a mission. They will follow SOPs, but must be prepared to improvise at a drop of a hat. This is not 'adventure' but survival. Traveller is a game, but a good GM can teach PCs how to survive also, rather than have a memorable 'death'.

This was my point.

A misjump in canon is not an 'adventure' but certain death with no out option. It is a game feature incompatible with Traveller design thinking as I knew it in the 80s. It is therefore something to be fixed, because no group of PCs would want to be told 'game over, all dead from boredom'.

So very much on topic.

Greg

On 18/02/2016 3:55 AM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Greg Chalik,

First, I apologize for continuing this what is, in my opinion, off the topic Tracking spaceships in Jump TU, was: Instant City. Next, under the definitions in Traveller only starships can jump between starships.

I do not consider placing myself in harms way or the possibly of doing so to be an adventure

The SEALs deployed in hostile country are not having an adventure since one tiny mistake can compromise the mission and/or get them killed. While in route to their mission area they are passengers on the transport vehicle and depending on how long the trip they will eat, sleep, and go over the plan trying to minimize the risks, When not deployed they are at their base standing watches, training, and go home.

Naval aviators taking-off and landing on the flight deck, by your definition, have more adventure, by what I think is your definition, than the SEALs every time they fly. Once in the air all sorts of events can occur that have the potential to kill them. That is a different mind set and personality.
Volunteering to serve on a vessel designed to sink itself, stay sunk for days making holes in the ocean, and at the end re-float itself to return to port is a different mind set and personality. Heck, just going to sea in or out of the military takes a different mind set and personality.

Climbing a mountain, while potentially dangerous, any type of racing such as in cars, planes, ships, or any other device is an adventure in my opinion. Doing a job that has the potential to kill you is not an adventure in my book whether of not you stand your watch or punch the time clock then go home or hit the bunk/bed.

You have admitted that there are some things not in your sphere of knowledge, in my opinion this is one of those areas unless you have put time in the military or other job that has the potential of causing your death.

Finally, when I started, like a lot of people, playing D&D and transitioned to Traveller I noticed there was a better chance of killing off characters than a miss-jump in Traveller. I have also found that, in the about fifteen game sessions I played in, there was a better chance of loosing the entire party with or without the possiblity of a miss-jump in the mix.

Tom R