From: "Phil Pugliese (via tml list)" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:33:46 PM
Subject: GM discretion; wasRe: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity

This email was sent from yahoo.com which does not allow forwarding of emails via email lists. Therefore the sender's email address (xxxxxx@yahoo.com) has been replaced with a dummy one. The original message follows:

" In one Traveller session I in and have notes for the
 ship was skimming for fuel which is an undertaking of a
 hazardous nature in my opinion. The notes have the failure
 criteria as 7+ without any modifiers we rolled an 8 adding
 and subtracting modifiers put the final total a 10. The ship
 was lost with all hands."

Considering how often the IN performs fuel skimming (just look at how many IN ships are equipped for it)
I, as GM, have considered it as a base 'routine' operation subject, of course, to modifiers.

However, I wasn't at your session so I'm not privy to what may have influenced the decision to classify that skimming op as 'hazardous'

In any case, this illustrates how much a GM's discretionary powers can influence the course of events.