I expect more what Michael Flynn called "Artificial Stupid", A.S, not A.I. It's too early to say the F-35 will be the last. We don't know when cyberwarfare will render drones useless.
And as a retired sailor, I greatly disagree with your assessment. Many of us signed up for adventure. And got it. SEALS don't have adventures, they have International Incidents when things go wrong, and "a nice quiet day at work" when things go right.

From: Greg Chalik <mrg3105@gmail.com>
To: "xxxxxx@simplelists.com" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity

Kelly, with all due respect, I expect my home to have AI in about a decade.
I expect it not to want to kill me in the process of managing its assigned tasks.

The F-35 is the last manned combat fighter to serve with the USAF. Even now, the F-35s pilot is mostly a passenger.

I agree that "Adventure is something dangerous and exciting happening to someone else, far far away.", but few people expect not to return.
In any case, do you have a source from canon that all IN ship's company sign up for an 'adventure'?
I'd say most sign up for a service cruise.
The only adventure types in the USN are those who volunteer for SEAL service.

From a purely personal perspective, I would find it dissapointing to start an adventure, only to be told in an hour that due to an undortunate dice roll my ship misjumped and all PCs are going to die of old age, slowly drifting nowhere.

Greg