On 18/02/2016 5:09 PM, "Richard Aiken" <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I agree with the other poster upthread that you are a certain type of equine creature, I can not believe I am actually answering you, but here goes [probably literally since you will be too obtuse to understand it] nothing . . .

Don't care what you believe, or not, since all beliefs are falsifiable.

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Greg Chalik <mrg3105@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You call your father's wartime service 'adventure'?
>

> You are totally and completely missing the point of the definition of "adventure" which was given to you earlier.

I don't care for the American Heritage Dictionary.

> Allow me re-write it a bit, to allow for you impaired perception.

All perceptions are impaired until supported by evidence.

> When Bad Stuff happens to YOU in REAL LIFE (the person would be the reader of the story or the player of the game), then it's a disaster.

Not as far as I'm concerned.

> When the EXACT SAME Bad Stuff happens to "someone else far, far away" - especially if it takes place in a fictional setting - it's an adventure.

If its fictional, it didn't happen. If it happens to someone else, its a news story. I don't worry about anything outside my influence.

> If I were reading about the service in question as a tale told about persons unknown to me, said service would be an adventure. Hearing it reluctantly told to the adult me by my father - minus the humorous incidents which were all he told me about his war service as a child growing up - it was very much NOT an adventure. It was instead a horror story.
>>
>> Maintenance is all SOPs,
>
> IT IS NOT AND WAS NOT.
>
> The type of frontline wartime maintenance my father helped conduct was potentially LETHAL, even if he was not being actively shot at.
>
> There was the time someone failed to properly secure the elevation spring on the 40mm AA mount he was working on . . .

I.e. someone failed to perform the appropriate SOP

and just AFTER he stepped off of the firing platform, there was an enormous "WWWHHHRRUUUNG!!!!!!" and THE ENTIRE MOUNT (over a TON of machined steel) flipped end over end into the air, then vanished into the ocean alongside with a mighty splash.

Ok

> There was also the time that a 5 inch deck mount got a LIVE HIGH-EXPLOSIVE ROUND stuck halfway down it's overheated barrel.

The weapon failed to function as designed because someone neglected to monitor its critical performance parameters vs those spesified by the design, I.e. failed SOP.

The approved SOP was to disassemble the weapon, remove the barrel and then carefully disassemble the round using special long-handled tools, while inside a bombproof shelter. This was IMPOSSIBLE in the circumstances. The destroyer was needed back in action ASAP. So my Dad was detailed to hold a hollow steel pipe around the detonator cap on the end of the round, while a senior PO used a SLEDGEHAMMER to drive the stuck round back down to the breach.

Its the plan B SOP :-)  from the Improvised SOPs manual.

>> and dealing with flooding and rescue also forms part of crew training.
>

> THERE WAS NO RESCUE.
>
> It was remains recovery and damage repair.
>
> Not even the actual burial details practice with real bloated dead bodies.

Never the less its all written down somewhere, and someone, though perhaps not your father, was trained in it.

>> No one looks for getting into such an event.
>
> YES THEY DO.
>
> When one joins the NAVY - especially the submarine service of which Tom Rux was a part - one is aware that if the ship sinks (whether from enemy action, bad weather or simple accident) EVERYONE is very likely to DIE.

No they don't. No one joins any navy to die. There is that possibility given the profession, but it isn't the intent. Tom was trained in the procedure to escape from a sub. May not always be possible, but the SOP is there. All submarines are designed to enable this at least when possible.

An 'adventure' is a course of action taken INTENTIONALLY, and it seems in Traveller games, one should expect to die an interesting death.

> The various U.S. military services are currently losing more personnel to accidents than to direct enemy action, even though we are involved in two (2) conflicts.

Accidents? I actually followed most of these during the Iraq deployment from 2003 onwards, and US DoD published investigative findings for many. Most were due to human error in failing to adhere to correct procedures. Just over 2,800 if my memory serves me.

> While I am aware that you have never served in the military (so you really are an equine animal for presuming to lecture those who have about the military), haven't you ever watched a recruiting commercial? The military SELLS ITSELF as an adventure.

Yes, the US military services. They also sell on free education, tax breaks, discounted loans, etc. Had a friend heading US Army recruiting company in PA.

>> I had an uncle cptn 2nd rank, who was assigned shore battery, where he died commanding. I bet that was no adventure.
>

> Not sure what a "cptn 2nd rank" is/was. Do you mean a captain in the reserves?

Soviet Navy

If he was assigned to a shore battery in the continental U.S., then the fact that he died while commanding it means he probably didn't die from enemy action.

Defence of Sevastopol 1941

So it would not have been an adventure, even for someone reading about it who didn't know him. However, if the death had been in combat, then for someone NOT your uncle, his death might have counted as an adventure.

Yeh, for people in the USA c.Nov.1941 it was an 'adventure', right?

> As the definition says, it's only an adventure when it happens to someone else. When it happens to YOU or YOURS, it's a disaster.

American Heritage Dictionary sucks.

Cheers

Greg