On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 10:47 PM, <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
On 19 Feb 2016 at 19:19, Richard Aiken wrote:
> I can see their point. If you suffer a casualty during an ice-mining
> operation, it's usually just *that* guy who gets hurt. But if you flub
> it on a gas giant skimming run, *everybody* dies.

That's true, but it costs in time - finding a suitable lump of ice and moving to it is sually
slower than a gas giant dive. Also, they've never actually asked me what the rolls for
each job (should I decide they're necessary) would be so they can compare them.
That's the part that amuses me, especially as one of the players is normally very careful
about managing risk - he's willing to take risks, but only after he's assured himself that
the risk/reward ratio is right.

I'm going to guess that when Cautious Player considers gas giant skimming, he can't help flashing on the aero braking scene from "2010" . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibf-6O3uU6Q

--
Richard Aiken

"Never insult anyone by accident."  Robert A. Heinlein
"I studied the Koran a great deal. I came away from that study with the conviction there have been few religions in the world as deadly to men as Muhammed." Alexis de Tocqueville (1843)
"We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous." Dean Winchester
"It has been my experience that a gun doesn't care who pulls its trigger." Newton Knight (as portrayed by Matthew McConaughey), to a scoffing Confederate tax collector facing the weapons held by Knight's young children and wife.