Tim.

It could be the Imperium drone Space seeding serves a number of purposes, only one of which is potentially identifying misjumped ships. It could be the way the drones are networked and data processed makes bureaucratic sense, but is inefficient, and someone's 'sticky fingers' can skim the data off the lower security network for later 'dirty work' of identifying misjumps more rapidly in a given sector using a new algorithm-type tool.

Recovery of a derelict may be worth something, but creating a potential rescue for a 'freshly' lost ship, and a live crew with only a minor security violation is a Space-wide news item even beyond 3I. That sort of 'brand' image is worth much more than 10%+ costs of Tigress.

Greg C

On 23/02/2016 10:33 AM, "Tim" <xxxxxx@little-possums.net> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 01:36:05PM +0100, Knapp wrote:
> I think you could also make an argument for a higher salvage value of
> starships.

Even if the salvage value was 10x the shiny new price tag, it still
wouldn't be enough if the sensors were at canonical costs with their
best published performance.  The only way to make this work is if deep
space sensors were very much cheaper for given performance than
starship sensors.  As mentioned, that's not really a bad assumption,
so basing an adventure on it shouldn't trip too many disbelief flags.

- Tim
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=JydxSB9tZc6TS63HiAHJcg6SAwighNGJ