One likely reason for high military salvage finders' fees is classified technology. The Navy is likely to pay a high premium for the privilege of getting to the derelict ahead of various spies and adventurers, so they can remove the most sensitive equipment, or simply detonate the hulk to settle the matter decisively.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Greg Chalik <mrg3105@gmail.com> wrote:

Build cost is substantially greater than salvage value...unless there are special cargoes on board

Greg C

On 23/02/2016 9:20 AM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Bruce Johnson,

A Tigress-class cost is MCr362,721 so that would give the recovery team MCr36,272.1 to split. To ensure they make the salvage I'll keep my characters as far away as possible.

Tom R

From: "Bruce Johnson" <xxxxxx@Pharmacy.Arizona.EDU>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2016 2:03:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TML] Salvage Operations

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 2:55 PM, Richard Aiken <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also, part of real world maritime law which likely also applies in the TU is that ships belonging to a sovereign government belong to that government and its descendant governments in perpetuity.
>
> Which is to say: "The crew of that Tigress likely has their passive sensors rigged to start waking them up if/when 'help' arrives . . . and even if you win, the Imperium is going to want its ship back, so nobody in their right mind is going to help you try to keep it.”

And you get a finders/salvage fee for your trouble, so yeah it’s still worth it. 10% of the cost of a Tigress?

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto

http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=PltOdItWBSgOP4y0Q6abkGbDI1eus0lz

--
Craig Berry (http://google.com/+CraigBerry)
"Eternity is in love with the productions of time." - William Blake