On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Tim <xxxxxx@little-possums.net> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 10:08:17PM -0400, Richard Aiken wrote:
> 1) Having the flexibility to push missiles out from the firing arc
> where they are needed RIGHT NOW - instead of waiting for them to
> fire from the "wrong" arc, precess, lock-on and then re-vector
> toward the threat - could be vital to survival.

In space combat terms, missiles are *slow*.  At typical engagment
ranges, missiles will take at least an hour to get where they're
going.  Even at point blank (less than 10 Mm) ranges, they'll take
something like ten minutes.  Getting around the ship from the wrong
side will take a second or two of that.

Well . . . being able to pump out a stream of counter missiles on the roughly-correct initial vector when facing a sudden swarm of nuisance (or possibly *shipkiller*) missiles that just launched from that stealthed area-denial mine a few thousand miles away, as your ship vectored in for wilderness refueling at an enemy gas giant would be a case of "needed RIGHT NOW."

Of course, that assumes that someone actually *uses* my idea of stealthed area denial mine belts around strategically-important gas giants . . .

That said, I agree that a central magazine or two is a good idea.

Thanks.

But I have to admit to rather liking the problems with missiles and missile launchers that David Drake depicts in his RCN series. The missiles are contact nukes and have one heck of a punch if they can close . . . and the crude/limited energy weapon tech of the series means that they have a decent shot at actually closing. But they're also huge (the smallest being as large as small motorboats) and extremely maintenance intensive (often failing to detonate when left in the care of "barbarian" technicians). Plus, their reloading mechanisms are highly tempermental, particularly if a ship takes hits. Even the slightest twist imposed on a hull structure by damage tends to kink the missile runs enough to jam them. So experienced captains (like Daniel Leary) learn to only count on having an initial salvo, regarding missile launchers which continue to function throughout a battle as gifts from the gods (or from highly-competent damage control teams).

--
Richard Aiken

"Never insult anyone by accident."  Robert A. Heinlein
"I studied the Koran a great deal. I came away from that study with the conviction there have been few religions in the world as deadly to men as Muhammed." Alexis de Tocqueville (1843)
"We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous." Dean Winchester
"It has been my experience that a gun doesn't care who pulls its trigger." Newton Knight (as portrayed by Matthew McConaughey), to a scoffing Confederate tax collector facing the weapons held by Knight's young children and wife.