Hello Craig,

Please tell me the proper term of how one goes from 0G to 1G?

Tom R

From: "Craig Berry" <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 4:26:48 PM
Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no big deal since LBB5v1, was Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc....

Nope, you're still talking about "coasting", and that never happens in an LBB2 trip. The assumption there is constant acceleration to midpoint, then constant deceleration to arrival. The m-drive is always on.

You also can't "accelerate to 1G". 1G *is* an acceleration. You accelerate to some velocity, not to an acceleration. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. 1G is roughly 10 m/s^2; that is, every second of 1G acceleration adds 10 m/s to your velocity. It's a vector quantity, so "adding" can happen in any direction. While a word like "deceleration" is convenient at times, it doesn't really mean anything in math or physics terms. An acceleration is just a rate of change of the velocity vector, in any direction, including opposite the current velocity vector (which is what we call "deceleration"), but also along it, or off at any angle from it.

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 4:08 PM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Craig,

First I did mention I was not using my books.

Next being sloppy and in a hurry I was not very clear in what I was saying.
Since I am now home I will use CT LBB 2 1977/1981 pp. 10-11 to hopefully summarize the rules.

A ship departing World A accelerates to 1G, shuts down the M-Drive and coasts until they need to flip the ship to decelerate at 1G and in theory arriving in orbit around their destination at say World B.

The above, I hope is closer to being correct, and what I thought I typed earlier.

Tom R

 Date: Sunday, May 22, 2016, 4:11 PM

 Like,
 inertialess, no-exhaust maneuver drives with near-infinite
 delta v and tiny fuel requirements, for example?
 :)
 On Sun,
 May 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
 wrote:
 This email was sent from yahoo.com which does not allow
 forwarding of emails via email lists. Therefore the
 sender's email address (xxxxxx@yahoo.com)
 has been replaced with a dummy one. The original message
 follows:

 On Sat, 5/21/16, tmr0195@comcast.net
 <tmr0195@comcast.net>
 wrote:

  Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no big deal since LBB5v1,
 was Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd not
 necessary for jumping & misc....

  To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

  Date: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 9:28 PM

  From: "Phil

  Pugliese (via tml list)"

  <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

  "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

  Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2016 3:37:22

  PM

  Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no

  big deal since LBB5v1, was Re: Incredibly efficient! was

 wrote:

   Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no big

  deal since LBB5v1, was Re: Incredibly efficient! was
 Re:

  [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc....

   To: "TML"

  <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

  Saturday, May 21, 2016, 6:06 AM

   Morning

   PDT Phil,

   From: "Phil

   Pugliese (via tml list)"

   <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

  was Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd

   not necessary for jumping & misc....

   >Depends on what you

  mean by "ruleset".

   >I consider both LBB5's to be part of

  the same

   ruleset, ie:CT (T1)

   >I can't really see

  treating each book as

   separate ruleset

  even if one book is a revised version of

   the other.

   I have the ten FFE CT reprints purchased back

  in 2000

   until I what I believe is the

  complete set. Then I have my

   dog-eared

  copy if CT LBB 1-3 1977, CT LBB 5 HG 1979, two of

   CT HG 1980 (1st and 15th printings), Striker

  1981, and

   Supplement 12 1983. I've

  also have a copy of LBB 8,

   which is buried

  at the bottom of one of the book piles I

   have, unfortunately I'm not sure which

  pile and I'd

   rather not tip any of

  them over.;-)

   In FFE CT

  001 LBB 0-8 LBB

   1-3 are 1977/1981 3rd

  Printings and LBB 5 1980 12th

   printing.

  Anyone purchasing a complete set of CT after 1981

   would not have known about material dropped,

  dumped, or

   omitted from the 1977 to 1980

  issued LBBs. Okay, if the

   individual meets

  someone with the older version of the rule

   set they will discover what disappeared with

  the revised

   material.

   Tom R

  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  >All true.

  (Although I prefer the term 'omitted' rather
 than

  "did away with, etc) In fact, I think most of us

  probably >didn't 'buy-in' at the very dawn
 of

  Traveller, so there would be gaps there & also gaps
 if

  one or another of us >didn't keep up w/ all the

  pubs.

  I was lucky to find the

  copy of Traveller in 1977/78 since the books I picked
 up

  were the only ones there. While I was deployed to the
 Med

  from 1991 to October 1994 I missed a lot of Traveller

  material that came. From October 1994 to July 1, 2009 I

  tried picking up material I missed. From July 1 2009 to
 mid

  2014 I was not buying much of anything because on June
 30,

  2009 I got a pick slip from my place of employment and

  discovered I had way to much debt and to little income

  without a job. Now I'm slowly trying to keep building
 my

  collection, okay hoard, of gaming material.

  >So then, &

  since few of us live in void, devoid of any contact w/

  others, what do you do when someone else >trots out
 their

  very much 'official' LBB, etc. & points out

  something that you or I wasn't aware of?

  >Well, one option is, "I never saw or

  heard of that before now so get rid of it or get

  lost!".

  >Or, perhaps some other

  response would be more appropo?

  I am guilty of trotting out the CT

  LBB 1-3 1977 and CT LBB 5 1979 under certain
 circumstances.

  In CT Supplement 7 1980 p. 35 the system defense boat
 has

  two missile magazines. CT LBB 5 1980 does not mention

  missile magazines, however CT LBB 5 p. 32 does have a
 rule

  for missile magazines.

  I have suggested that with some

  modification the LBB 5 1979 missile magazine rule should
 be

  reinstated in LBB 5 1980. Actually, I included a
 unpolished

  modification along with the suggestion. Nothing has

  happened, even after suggesting using the missile
 magazine

  rule in MT.

  >In my mind the old rules would still be

  valid *unless* specifically & explicitly contradicted
 by

  a later version.

  >And even in that case

  (re: jump torps) I believe there should be some leeway
 esp

  considering the adv involving >the
 'Leviathan'

  .

  I may be mistaken

  but with CT LBB 1 through 3 the copyright information
 is

  1977/1981 while the two copies of CT LBB 5 HG2 are 1980.
 If

  CT LBB 5 HG2 had a copyright of 1979/1980 I would agree
 that

  the 1979 copy is valid source document. Without the

  annotation of 1979 I think makes the material not in
 the

  1980 CT LBB 5 HG2 edition is not valid unless everyone
 at

  the table agrees to use them.

  CT Adventure 4 Leviathan has a

  copyright of 1980 but from the material appears to have
 been

  constructed using CT LBB 5 1979 and CT LBB 2 1977
 rules.

  Unfortunately, rewriting the design specification for
 the

  Leviathan and a number of other published ships to the
 CT

  LBB 5 HG2 1980 and CT LBB 2 1977/1981 was probably not

  possible at the time for unknown reasons.

  >Also, in LBB5

  it is explicitly stated that the LBB2 rules for
 starship

  creation are *still* valid despite the fact that
 >they

  don't  jibe w/ LBB5.

  Yes, LBB 5 1980 p. 22: Drives  "It

  is possible  to include standard drives (at standard

  prices) from Book 2 it they will otherwise meet the

  ship's requirements; such drives use fuel identical

  the formulas in Book 2."

  LBB 2 1977/1981 p. 15: "At a

  minimum, ship fuel tankage must equal 0.1MJn+10Pn, where

  is the tonnage of the ship, Jn is the ship's jump

  number, and Pn is the ship's power plant rating for
 four

  weeks of fuel. Jump fuel under the formula (0.1MJn)
 allows

  one jump of the stated level. Ships performing jumps
 less

  than their maximum capacity consume fuel at a lower
 level

  based on the jump number used."

  The

  LBB 2 1977 using all jump fuel regardless of jump
 distance

  and LBB 5 1979 installation of a jump governor has been

  written out of the CT rule set.

  Tom R (hopefully i did better this

  time)

 I have to disagree...

 To agree would be to imply that once certain items are not
 mentioned anymore, they have somehow 'poofed' out of
 existence w/i the TU.

 Never to be seen or heard of again.

 But these items have been woven into the fabric that
 constitutes the background of the TU.

 Once that happens they are here to stay.

 p.s. IMO, "written out", etc. does NOT been
 "gone, illegal, etc.".

 Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml

 Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com

 To unsubscribe from this list please goto

 http://archives.simplelists.com

 --

 Craig
 Berry (http://google.com/+CraigBerry)