On 15 Jul 2016 00:54, "C. Berry" <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another thing...if it's a hot desert, the physical bulk of the craft itself can help you in two ways.
>
> One, just sitting on or in it will get you up off the ground a bit. Air temperature within a half meter of the ground is often several K higher than at a meter or more. So if you can get up a bit, it reduces heat load on the body, which has all kinds of benefits, obviously.

Ah, I didn't know that would make so much difference.

> Two, if you can lever it up a bit, or dig under it, it can provide shade and partial weather shelter. Getting out of direct sunlight increases your survival odds a great deal; it reduces heat load and the risk of sunburn.

I did think of that, although as I said I'm expecting them to have to (or want to) walk out to escape so this would only be useful initially while they wait for night I guess.

But thank you.  There might be a change of plan if I go with Jeffrey 's  ELT - Emergency La­nding Transponder device idea.

Cheers

tc