>Humans have on the order of a hundred thousand genes, depending upon how you count.  So if more than one part in a hundred thousand of some individual's inheritance tree was extraterrestrial, then they likely have some genes deriving from them.  In other words, a single ancestor 16 generations back (~500 years) would suffice.
>Even with a "minimal mixing" assumption, I would expect most of the population to have at least 0.1% extraterrestrial ancestry after the first thousand years.  More likely a much greater amount, but 0.1% is already something like a hundred times the required threshold.  Then there's another few millennia for those genes to diffuse.

By that logic, we now on Earth IRL are all a lovely shade of brown, with no particularly distinctive subgroups, given that we've had upwards of 50 000 years of sharing a common planet since the emergence of Homo sapiens sapiens. Why do you assume that human mating is some sort of brownian motion process that happens entirely randomly, without any guidance from the conscious minds humans are equipped with? Why do you assume that all of Terra is some kind of Coruscant-like city planet with no isolated populations? Why do you assume that extraterrestrial immigration was both extremely massive and completely unrestricted?

On 17 July 2016 at 10:48, Tim <xxxxxx@little-possums.net> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 08:34:56AM +0200, Abu Dhabi wrote:
> > Contact, trade, and sex with extraterrestrial human races occurred
> > long before any Terran colonies were established.
>
> But did that lead to substantial admixture in the Terran population?

Yes.

> I'm very skeptical that even in the 4000 or so years since contact,
> the amount of extraterrestrial genes entering Terra was substantial
> enough that most inhabitants of the Terran system would have some.

Humans have on the order of a hundred thousand genes, depending upon
how you count.  So if more than one part in a hundred thousand of some
individual's inheritance tree was extraterrestrial, then they likely
have some genes deriving from them.  In other words, a single ancestor
16 generations back (~500 years) would suffice.

Even with a "minimal mixing" assumption, I would expect most of the
population to have at least 0.1% extraterrestrial ancestry after the
first thousand years.  More likely a much greater amount, but 0.1% is
already something like a hundred times the required threshold.  Then
there's another few millennia for those genes to diffuse.

> ...or a genetest showing that a given individual has no
> extraterrestrial admixture.

There will be admixture, so such a test would be ill-advised -- unless
it was faked.

- Tim
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=gKqKfFfLGCu4ffCaQQsgV6nFZ3rmoPaH