And that's just it. CG, thruster, and jump power requirements are determined by game-design decisions, not by physics. None of those technologies are consistent with physics as we understand them, so there's no way to do any reality-based calculation that will yield a power requirement. The Traveller design sequences were reasonably well crafted to support the desired background without creating glaring consistency problems in typical situations, which is more than good enough for a game. It's similar to the relationship between video-game physics and real physics; if the game feels enough like reality, people can immerse themselves in it easily, even if it fails in every way to embody key conservation laws and the like.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:56 AM, <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:
Morning PDT,

There is more than one Traveller design sequence that requires the drive train/suspension to have a
design power requirement.

CT Striker Book 3 p. 8, MT Referee's Manual pp. 65-66, TNE FF&S Chapter 10, and GURPS Traveller Starships p. 40. I'm not sure but I believe that T4 Core Book QSDS, T4 Book 2 Starships, and T4 book D FF&S have have power requirements.

In CT Striker Book 3 p. 8 each .02 m^3 of grav generator provides 1 ton of thrust and requires .1 megawatts of power from the power plant. On p. 11 a grav vehicle's requires 1G, determined by dividing the grav generators thrust in tons by the vehicles' weight in tons, to keep the vehicle in the air, hovering. If the thrust is less than 1G the vehicle cannot move, I think this means the vehicle is sitting on the ground. Any thrust in excess of 1G is used for movement.

Tom Rux

From: "Tim" <xxxxxx@little-possums.net>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 8:32:42 PM
Subject: Re: Landing vs hovering (was Re: [TML] What class of Port is this?)

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 03:49:12PM -0500, Grimmund wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Tim <xxxxxx@little-possums.net> wrote:
>

> > Does Traveller contragrav employ a means that requires constant power
> > input?  We don't know.
>

> That seems to be a given.  If it has a power requirement to operate, that
> implies that lacking such power, it will no longer operate.

In one of the vehicle design sequences, drivetrain/suspension has a
design power requirement also.  This does not mean that the wheels
fall off when the power is not supplied (i.e. no longer supports the
vehicle), it just means that without power the vehicle won't
accelerate and that there is a limit to how much power it can handle
without breaking something.

- Tim
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to

http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=PltOdItWBSgOP4y0Q6abkGbDI1eus0lz

--
"Eternity is in love with the productions of time." - William Blake