From: "C. Berry" <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:53:24 AM
Subject: Re: [TML] 1G ship vs Size 8 world.

The "overdrive" option opens up a larger can of worms, in my experience. If they can double the M-drive rating for liftoff, any player worthy of the name will then try to do so in combat. And so forth.

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Grimmund <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 2:47 PM, C. Berry <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
To my way of thinking, this is what CG is specifically intended to solve. CG provides no thrust as such, but it cancels out gravitational attraction, up to some limit higher than would be encountered on habitable planets. Thus you just turn on the CG, thereby becoming weightless, point the nose at the sky, and accelerate using your maneuver drive.

This was pretty much my assumption, once I thought about it.

Enough lift modules built in and decentralized around the hull to enable the thrusters to get the ship to orbit.  Details were never particularly necessary from a narrative standpoint.

Or, you know, "1 G" is a nominal "cruise" rating, with one decimal place of accuracy, and represents maybe 75-80% of full rated performance, with peak output maybe 200% of full or "cruise" performance for up to an hour, to allow for takeoff and landing maneuvers on higher-G worlds.

Dan

--

"Any sufficiently advanced parody is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." -Alan Morgan
-----

"Eternity is in love with the productions of time." - William Blake
-----