In parts of the world w/ pretty cold winters I can see where it'd be a very practical practice to keep getting up to stoke the fire, if nothing else.

From: shadow at shadowgard.com (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:04 AM
Subject: Re: [TML] Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Calendars

Before *good* artificial illumination (electric lights or gaslamps)
the usual sleep pattern was to sleep for a few hours then wake up for
an hour or some, the go back to sleep for a few more hours.

Heck, I live that sort of schedule much of the time. :-)

The Navy's "watch and watch" (4 hours on, 4 hours off, repeat)
stretches this pretty much to the limit. But it *is* endurable for
long periods.

So I'd set an 8 hour sol as the absolute lower limit. With folks more
likely doubling or tripling it to get a 16 or 24 hour sol.

Anyway the splittin g sleep into two periods is more natrual than the
"try to sleep 8 hours straight" bit we do nowadays.
--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com

-----
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=EwREIRgLK8vaUEhNlnoNdSGKwnjoID8a